buy new car lately?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I have a Subie Outback XT 2.5 Man Trans.

Besides a Audi allroad 6 speed this is all the car I ever wanted.

It is downright silly how well it does in the snow with the snow tires i have on it.

With my IMBA mebersip discount it was almost affordable.

I do however like the new impreza. go drive it.

V

vs779

If you are interesed in a Subaru try Subaru of Mt Olive they supported the mountain bike festival this year. I was told mountain bikers would be well taken care of without all the hassles of being a great negotiator.

gtluke

The Moped
Subie completely lost me when GM sold their position and Toyota bought it. The new gen of all their models has almost totally lost the Subaru uniqueness in favor of them being more appealing to camry shoppers.
The new impreza is a complete dud compared to the last one. It looks like poo and the rear suspension is laughable.
I do though feel terrible for Subaru when the new CAFE standards go into effect with manbearpig whispering into the ears of the Messiah.
The new standards put the average like 20% above even the most fuel efficient Subaru. Right now subaru bypasses the current CAFE standards because EVERY SINGLE one of their cars is classified as a truck, so they don't have to participate. The NEW standards INCLUDE trucks. WTF is Subaru going to do?
The stupidest part is that since Toyota can pass CAFE because they sell small FWD cars like the yaris, they can buy all of subaru and make NO changes and just absorb the MPG average. If Subaru wants to stand on their own they will be fined severely.
Completely stupid logic, thanks manbearpig.

THATmanMANNY

:confused:
What does manbearpig and the messiah have to do with this? I'm so lost...
What are CAFE standards?

manbearpig is whispering s2000 into my ears :D and telling me as a result i will become a messiah who owns a cafe

gtluke

The Moped
manbearpig is Al Gore
the messiah is obama
cafe standards are Corporate Average Fuel Economy
cafe is to blame for the push in SUV sales this decade and the rise in accident deaths. Since trucks don't count in these numbers, ford got people out of their Town and Country station wagons (cars) and into expeditions (truck, doesn't count in the CAFE numbers). If you are above the CAFE standards, you have to pay a huge fine like BMW does.
al gore drives a big block mustang.
obama drives a Chrysler 300
YOU should drive a prius because they told you to.

Last edited:

mfennell

cafe is to blame for the push in SUV sales this decade and the rise in accident deaths.
I agree with your first point but accident deaths, measured per 100M miles driven, have declined every year since 1988 (the chart I found starts there) with the exception of one blip in 2005. Injuries have declined the entire duration. Source

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Luke Luke Luke...trolling and you know it. Stop that or I'll have to put you in the manbearpig box.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
al gore drives a big block mustang.

67 mustang no less. One year before they installed smog pumps on them...So funny that the leader of the man made global warming movement drives what has to be one of the most polluting vehicles on the planet.....And I know because I have one. If I was to hook my 67 up to an emissions machine, it would keel over and DIE. But its ok, Al buys carbon offsets :rofl:

gtluke

The Moped
He chose to buy a v8 300, he was forced to buy some sort of hybrid.
I'm not judging him for that though, I have something like 1,200 HP between 3 of my cars :D

THATmanMANNY

09 forester

Stopped at the dealer today to check out some subys. I was quite impressed by the new model. Compared to the previous boxier and wagon type model the 09' is roomier for passengers and cargo. Panaramic moonroof. More ground clearance. Great controls on console. 5 star safety all around. & been youtubing all the demonstrations of the car im quite impressed by the traction control and the cars capabilities. I'll probably test drive one tomorrow.

I've owned the 02 wrx (it was my first car & i've always wanted a suby again); the new impreza's are nice but the forester will provide much more utility (altho the impreza outback sport isn't bad and it will save me some cash). The outback is too well... old for me :D. And I don't need the wrx's or sti's or the amped up engines from suby. I have better plans ;)

Or I can save some caaaash mooooney and go with the Honda Fit hehe. I'm looking for car with utility. The fit will do just fine but it doesn't have TC standard, or AWD of course and it's not tough like rock. The forester seems like it can only be taken advantage of when there is snow (which nj is getting less and less of) and seems to be just a little over the top for NJ. they are two different class cars but :hmmm: which one... Plus, I will still have my Titan :getsome:

Thoughts?

Sorry, but ya'll have been invited to my quest to finding a new car. :D
It gives me support to actually seal the deal on a car. Cause i don't need it but i want it sorta thing.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
You will fit right in around New Hope with a Forrester.

Stopped at the dealer today to check out some subys. I was quite impressed by the new model. Compared to the previous boxier and wagon type model the 09' is roomier for passengers and cargo. Panaramic moonroof. More ground clearance. Great controls on console. 5 star safety all around. & been youtubing all the demonstrations of the car im quite impressed by the traction control and the cars capabilities. I'll probably test drive one tomorrow.

I've owned the 02 wrx (it was my first car & i've always wanted a suby again); the new impreza's are nice but the forester will provide much more utility (altho the impreza outback sport isn't bad and it will save me some cash). The outback is too well... old for me :D. And I don't need the wrx's or sti's or the amped up engines from suby. I have better plans ;)

Or I can save some caaaash mooooney and go with the Honda Fit hehe. I'm looking for car with utility. The fit will do just fine but it doesn't have TC standard, or AWD of course and it's not tough like rock. The forester seems like it can only be taken advantage of when there is snow (which nj is getting less and less of) and seems to be just a little over the top for NJ. they are two different class cars but :hmmm: which one... Plus, I will still have my Titan :getsome:

Thoughts?

Sorry, but ya'll have been invited to my quest to finding a new car. :D
It gives me support to actually seal the deal on a car. Cause i don't need it but i want it sorta thing.

gtluke

The Moped
Be aware that automatic Subaru's do not get symmetrical AWD, its just "tag along"
Unless they changed that for the new gen but the drive trains appear identical.

I love the package of the outbacksport. I would probably just get the impreza wagon 2.5RS aka TS or maybe a WRX wagon. All the same cars outback sport has taller suspension, WRX has turbo DOHC.

Subaru was so close to winning me over a few years ago, just a few things I can't get over.
The whole 'engine place forward of the headlights' thing, making the car horribly under steer. The DOHC engine is horrific to work on, but they are very reliable so its not that big of a deal.
and that whole SDAF thing...

mfennell

The whole 'engine place forward of the headlights' thing, making the car horribly under steer.
Audis have that same configuration although their newest trans design helps a bit.

THATmanMANNY said:
The forester seems like it can only be taken advantage of when there is snow (which nj is getting less and less of) and seems to be just a little over the top for NJ.
4wd is overrated around here. My daily beaters have been RWD BMWs for the last 6 or 7 years. I have never come close to being stuck in the winter with real snow tires on all 4 corners. One winter storm my neighbor was stuck in his driveway with a Durango (open front and rear diffs on it) and a 4wd Mercedes (low + shitty tires) while I was tooling around in my hoopty.

Plus, I will still have my Titan
WHoa. Back up. If you have a 2nd vehicle, why not get something impractical and stupid then? :)

Top Bottom