Burlington County - Trails for New Riders?

walked

New to the area, and my 6 year old has expressed an increasing level of interest in joining me for some riding!

Any trails in the area that are particularly tame/friendly for newer riders? No qualms with anything about an hour drive from the Medford area; but can stretch that a little on weekend too.

Looking for relatively clean / well maintained dirt with not a ton of tricky obstacles or steep terrain mainly. (You know, imagine what a 6 year old would be able to do, with occasional opportunities to build new skills being welcomed, of course)

walked

Welcome to SJ. Closest to Medford area would be Black Run Preserve in Evesham. Some flat trails in Rancocas State Park, north side of Rancocas Creek in Westampton and south side in Lumberton. There's no bikes allowed in Rancocas Nature Center.

Further away, but within your 1hr range is Camden County College.

Take a look at Trailforks: https://www.trailforks.com/trails/map/?activitytype=1&z=10.2&lat=39.83642&lon=-74.76572
Thanks for these suggestions! Will try to get to some of these first dry weekend ahead :)

JDurk

Thanks for these suggestions! Will try to get to some of these first dry weekend ahead :)
Good part about these locations, they are very sandy and usually dry out pretty quickly after any precipitation.

walked

Good part about these locations, they are very sandy and usually dry out pretty quickly after any precipitation.
Thats what I've observed with my yard; which is great! Thanks again for the recommendations; Black Run looks super close and like it's likely easy enough for the kid in some spots.
Side question: any suggestions for good areas for the kid to practice basic skills?

JDurk

Thats what I've observed with my yard; which is great! Thanks again for the recommendations; Black Run looks super close and like it's likely easy enough for the kid in some spots.
Side question: any suggestions for good areas for the kid to practice basic skills?
Basic skills? Like climbing, descending, roots, and braking? BRP will be good for that. There's ST and DT trails throughout the whole place.

walked

Basic skills? Like climbing, descending, roots, and braking? BRP will be good for that. There's ST and DT trails throughout the whole place.
Sorry; many of the areas in Maryland (where we moved from) have small skills sections near the trailhead - simulated bridges of varying widths, varying log fixtures, varying sizes of jumps, etc. Looking for something similar in a focused area where can be intentional about building some of those skills.

Not a must, of course, riding is how I learned, but never hurts to ask :)

KF2M

There are also trails at Brendan Byrne State Forest (just up Rt70). Not the best trails but they are easy trails. Also there is a Allaire State Forest a little further north with more trails, and features.

JDurk

Sorry; many of the areas in Maryland (where we moved from) have small skills sections near the trailhead - simulated bridges of varying widths, varying log fixtures, varying sizes of jumps, etc. Looking for something similar in a focused area where can be intentional about building some of those skills.

Not a must, of course, riding is how I learned, but never hurts to ask :)
Not saying they don't exist, but this is no-fun, NJ. Nothing sanctioned at least. There is a pump track in Philly. Another in DE at Middle Run/White Clay. Pitman, NJ has 1, just not sure if it's rideable currently.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
You also have Core Creek across the river in PA, and Clayton Park a half hour away to the north. The Monmouth County crew have been doing really amazing work there. @Matt_

Top Bottom