Bunny Hopping

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Take it from me ... If you bunny hop a long at high speed during a race at lets say ... Darkhorse, MAKE SURE you clear the log you are about to hop, if you don't clear the log with your front wheel there is the risk of getting hurt. You might even break your collar bone too, nah on second thought, that could never happen!

Christina ... :)

This is nonsense, are you telling me someone could get hurt riding a bike at 20mph while dodging trees, roots, and rocks? Seems too crazy to be true, I'm calling the Mythbusters, they'll set this straight:D

-Jim.

F

FallGirl1430

This is nonsense, are you telling me someone could get hurt riding a bike at 20mph while dodging trees, roots, and rocks? Seems too crazy to be true, I'm calling the Mythbusters, they'll set this straight:D

-Jim.

:rofl: @ Jim V

Gregg

Bunny hop fall

There is footage of the one guy on Mythbusters eating tarmac while trying to bunny hop an old clunker on one episode. Disturbing but funny slo-mo footage. I'll check you tube to see if its there. I just wish there was some video of me crashing while learning the basics of mtbing. Keep crashing and learning.

Mare

Hey Mare,

How is the bunny hopping practice going?

I studied this thread and videos, had the hubby out front working with me, and yes, I need to go into it standing too. Wow, that feels totally different. I feel like I am starting over, but I can finally pull up my back wheel!

Then, of course, I had to go out to the trails and work on it some more. Long story short, ended the day with an endo. Oh well. My recent score is 3 rides without going over the handlebars. Keep practicing...

Heidi

Uh oh! Did you get hurt?

Hopping for me isn't going well. I hop once in a while, but for the most part, my skills are horrible. I endoed recently too and landed flat on my chest. I still can't breathe without pain, but I figure whatever it is, it just needs time to heal. So in the mean time, I avoid the scene of the accident :)

I think we need skilled riders with patience and a log to teach us. :)

Pokgirl

Spork
Uh oh! Did you get hurt?

Hopping for me isn't going well. I hop once in a while, but for the most part, my skills are horrible. I endoed recently too and landed flat on my chest. I still can't breathe without pain, but I figure whatever it is, it just needs time to heal. So in the mean time, I avoid the scene of the accident :)

I think we need skilled riders with patience and a log to teach us. :)

Naw, just some bruises. Nothing new. I imitate Superman very well, but my knees never seems to clear the bars cleanly.

Your injury (in my very unprofessional opinion) may be a rib bruise... I would guess that would take some time to heal. :( Not like you need to breath hard with biking, right? :) I hope you heal up very soon...

MST.ESQ

Get the Brian Lopes book!!! Seriously!!!

I recently bought his Mountainbike skills book for a fun read on a long flight. You know what, I learned a thing or two. The book has some great how-to photos and explanations. The book gave some great tips for clearing logs and railing berms that I never thought of or knew about. I was surprised by how much I learned from it.

There is a chapter devoted to the bunny hop - with great instruction on how to pre-load and get yourself into position... It had me clearing logs I used to have to bash over...

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
if you have suspension on the bike which you can lock out, then lock it out. Learning to bunny hop is infinitely easier on a rigid bike.

Also, from my experience in teaching my GF this, there are two key things that I thought would be obvious, but may not be.

1.) If you can't comfortably, smoothly, and consistently lift your front wheel up at least onto or over a curb/parking block, you need to learn this first.

2.) you need to be in the right body position. I think Mare mentioned the standing up thing. You also need to have your feet parallel to the ground and not be too leaned back or forward. Shifting your body weight is the key to getting height and if you are too far back.forward to begin with, you won't get the shift you need to get the bike up high enough.

Good luck!

liong71er

i learn to bunny hop,.on my BMX when i was 11 yrs old back in my country(INA) i saw it on a vid the title is RAD it's a bmx movies,...i thinks some of you(old school like me knows about this vids)...so bunny hoping is well,...piece of cake for me:). so keep learning it. mistake,crashing,..make it perfect.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't know how this will come through. Back when we used film, we had to scan pictures...

Speaking of BMX bikes.

The bottom pic, although hard to make out, is someone bunny hopping over a 1/2 keg of beer (in fact about 1 foot above the tap). I've seen this person bunny hop over 4 feet on a bmx bike (50 1/2").

Last edited:

CrossAddict

MIke D or Bill C ???

I don't know how this will come through. Back when we used film, we had to scan pictures...

Speaking of BMX bikes.

The bottom pic, although hard to make out, is someone bunny hopping over a 1/2 keg of beer (in fact about 1 foot above the tap). I've seen this person bunny hop over 4 feet on a bmx bike (50 1/2").

Bill is that you hopping a keg or Mike D.? I can't get a close up of it.

-rf

EABODS

post pics from the ride to nowhere.....
bitch

Speaking of BMX bikes.

CrossAddict

Brian Lopes??

I didn't know you went to school with flyin' brian lopes.

kool

S a D
TDS <-- tommy 'd' steaks

Peace,

-r to the f bc

Top Bottom