Bulldog Rump Complaints and Suggestions Department

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok folks, this was Weber's idea and I agree with it. If you have any of the following:

* complaints
* grumbles
* suggestions on how to make the race better
* constructive criticism on the course layout
* scoring complaints
* general race suggestions/comments/complaints

This is where you should post them. We're going to keep Ryan's thread for race recaps. And anything that fits the above should be posted here. If you violate this split in posts one of the moderators will move your post here.

If you have a legitimate beef with something please feel free to post it here. I promise that Brian L will be emailed directly and told of this thread by the end of the week.

Thanks!
The MANagement

rocknrollgirl

I think that the women's sport field was large enough to split the age groups and send us out 2 mins apart or whatever the stagger was. They did it at Stewart and it was much appreciated. I believe it was done for the experts and a small group was sent out. Needs to be done with us too please.

Other than that, could you please do something about the weather?:)

Seriously, well done.

Mare

I agree about splitting the groups when starting.

Other than that, I thought the race was well organized, we got our results in a reasonable amount of time, and the course was awesome! Granted a large part of that was the fact that it was dry, but the start was much better than last year.

I had a great time and thought it was a great day!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is actually a great suggestion! They split the expert women up into groups of 8 and 5. For them to start all 25 women together in sport isn't really fair to both groups.

We sport racers are people too! (Soylent Green is people!)

bdmtb

well.....

This is not exclusive to this race but I think it would be nice if the gaps between age groups were bigger.

Thanks for putting on an excellent race, I'll be back next year.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
When I looked at the results, I was posted 10th. I was thrilled but then I noticed Will was posted in 8th, yet he finished behind me. I called it out to Neil and he corrected it. I decided to check the results once again just before the protest period was over and noticed everything was messed up. Someone a head of me flatted on the last lap, Will and I passed him but yet he was posted in 4th. At about 3:00pm Neil came back and said there were 3 different results for my age group. He checked with the other 19-29 rider that was left and we got it all straightened out. I ended up 6th in the age group and 3rd for the state championship. The guy that flated was just ahead of me in the series points so I'm glad I waited it out to make sure everything was corrected.

Brian caused some havoc in the younger guy (< 19) age group. Sounded like the kid that was second in the age group bought his yearly license after the race, but before the results were posted. He then was able to get the state champion 1st place medal. The kid that wound up 2nd in the states, was not happy and got his mom all worked up over it. Turns out he should have been racing expert because he was 2nd overall in the points last year! Sandbagger!!

Gerilynn

Overall, a great race! But double check that the correct number plates are given out. An 18 yr old male was given a number for the 12-34 womens category, so he was scored with the women and placed first until I protested!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Brian caused some havoc in the younger guy (< 19) age group. Sounded like the kid that was second in the age group bought his yearly license after the race, but before the results were posted. He then was able to get the state champion 1st place medal. The kid that wound up 2nd in the states, was not happy and got his mom all worked up over it. Turns out he should have been racing expert because he was 2nd overall in the points last year! Sandbagger!!

That was ugly. Unfortunately, this is the downside of any sport when parents take it too seriously. The kid was sitting there watching his mom go to town on some other parent. Just not fun to be around. I think everyone needs to remember to have fun, including parents.

DownhillR3

Mike I think you summed up that pretty well. I assume everyone else that was there to witness it knows who was right and who was wrong...

Sidenote, would have liked to see results posted much faster(all of H2H), I know the protest period was pretty intense today but the wait leading up to that was tremendous.

Last edited:
P

Promtber

I would like to see the results posted allot quicker for all the races. Its nice to race but I cant make this a all day event. Maybe we could just post the top 10 and the rest would be posted on line with the times? If anyone has any suggestions that would be great to help out the volunteers score faster and more accurate? I must give it to the H2H races, they do run a fantastic race, very organized until the results need to be posted.

VanDbtRiver

i was happy with the placement of the mascot. i crashed into the logs at the base of the hill during the first lap. seeing her for the next 2 laps was a good indicator of where i was on the track. thanks yolanda.

B

Biz

This is actually a great suggestion! They split the expert women up into groups of 8 and 5. For them to start all 25 women together in sport isn't really fair to both groups.

I agree. I think adding 1-2 more minutes between groups would be much better, but that is a complaint for the whole series, not just the Bulldog Rump. And it would only add 10-15 minutes to the overall race time for each class for each class. Not that big a deal for the officials.

BTW - Today's race went off like clockwork (Once the organizers admitted what everyone else already knew: There was no way sport would be starting at 10:00 AM) - I can't imagine many complaints on this thread. Even the rain stayed away.

B

Biz

I would like to see the results posted allot quicker for all the races. Its nice to race but I cant make this a all day event. Maybe we could just post the top 10 and the rest would be posted on line with the times? If anyone has any suggestions that would be great to help out the volunteers score faster and more accurate? I must give it to the H2H races, they do run a fantastic race, very organized until the results need to be posted.

Today's results weren't bad. You have to remember, they can't post the results until everyone's done. To post just the top 10 results right away is kind of inconsiderate to the other racers. It's like saying they aren't fast enough for their results to count. And then racers have the right to issue protests after the results are posted, yadda, yadda, yadda... The results should be posted soon after the last racer has finished for a class, but NEVER sooner.

You can always leave and wait for them to be posted online. With a couple notable exceptions in the past 2 years (Ringwood last year, this years' Lewis Morris Challenge), most race results are up in 24-48 hours.

With some programming and the necessary computer equipment, it would be possible to have a real-time system that could display results in real-time on a large computer screen or something like that. But if you look at what happened at Lewis Morris, high tech isn't always a good idea. And high-tech costs $$$ and isn't as weather-resistant as pen and paper.

clutch

Maybe a little advanced warning when a hard turn is ahead. A sign like this
yellow%20left.gif

a few feet ahead and then larger one at the actual turn would be nice. But then again this could just be part of racing.
One guy in the beginner 19-29 got faked out pretty good on that one hard left. I pulled an ullrich circa 04 and let him catch up and pass me ;-)

CrossAddict

Young Racer

That was ugly. Unfortunately, this is the downside of any sport when parents take it too seriously. The kid was sitting there watching his mom go to town on some other parent. Just not fun to be around. I think everyone needs to remember to have fun, including parents.

Norm, So what if the kid bought a licence after the fact. Is he a NJ resident? I guess this argument is a little one-sided as I think I know who the kid is. The young gentlemen in question has decided to race xc with some downhill mixed in. He is intrested in going up to Mt. Snow thus needed the licence anyway. There are too few juniors as there is right now. Being a teacher I have started a MTB club at the school and we have about half dozen racers and another dozen riders. I also coach the Varsity Ski team and have seen the worst of parents. (just ask Matt M. from 'bulldog')

Can't we all just get along.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider

Oh no, she was going to town on anyone that was around! Fortunately, it did not turn into one of those Soccer parents brawls.

Norm, So what if the kid bought a licence after the fact. Is he a NJ resident? I guess this argument is a little one-sided as I think I know who the kid is. The young gentlemen in question has decided to race xc with some downhill mixed in. He is intrested in going up to Mt. Snow thus needed the licence anyway. There are too few juniors as there is right now. Being a teacher I have started a MTB club at the school and we have about half dozen racers and another dozen riders. I also coach the Varsity Ski team and have seen the worst of parents. (just ask Matt M. from 'bulldog')

Can't we all just get along.

I think the real point is that Downhiller did exactly what Brian told everyone in the Sport class. If you do not have a license and feel like you did well, run over to the registration tent and buy a license before results are posted. After the heated conversation everyone agreed to disagree and Downhiller got his medal. Only way to avoid the situation again is to have Brian there for the results posting, but he was out racing. I think Brian should go harder so he could be there for the posting! :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom