Bulldog Reports

RNG1

Live and Learn

Dude, 3 flats has to get the award for persisitance, that's beats a win in my book.
First of all, well done to all for a great job putting on a great race even though the course seems to eat tires for breakfast. Mine was on the menu as well.(I'll get to that in a sec.) Thanks also to the nice on-site medical staff.(I'll get to that in another sec.)
I started the day not sure what to expect after doing a 45 mile road ride on sat morning that was intended to be an easy pre race spin before I ran into a few buddies of mine and ended up doing hillclimbs for bragging rights. Amazingly I felt great today and thought I was having the race of my life feeling strong and just kept jacking up the pace until about 2/3 through the last lap when I burped out about 1/2 the air in my front tire. I managed to finish the section without going down (I wonder who the guy was behind me that yelled "DUUUUUUDE that was an amazing save!!!") Well, this was the critical point where I made the SHMUCK decision of the day and thought that there couldn't be much further to go and I was pretty sure I was going to place, so rather than taking the second to try and co2 my tire back up decided I could finish the race with 5lbs of pressure in my front tire. I know, that is why I used capital letters for SHMUCK. Sure enough the next section where I needed any traction at all, I went down hard with the same unknown guy with the previous compliment asking me if I was ok. Thanks bro. I knew right away something bad happened to my left thumb. I also now had no pressure in the front tire and had no way to stick a tube in as I was down to one hand, and I knew that even if I could change it I couldn't ride without possibly doing a lot more damage to myself. So I did what anybody who goes for the persistance award does and started running my ass off. The only problem was that with the course adding the extra stuff at the beginning I completely lost my bearings and had no idea how far I was going to have to run. So I ran and ran and ran much like Forrest Gump for what seemed like at least a couple of miles and watched my hard earned lead dissappear with every rider that went by. The good news I discovered is that my rib that I broke at the Wayway race no longer hurts when I run. At one point I actually was running on my own for a while without seeing anyone and remembered the announcement at the start that a bear was seen at the race. I was thinking wow now that would be really be something to deal with right now. Fortunately no bears but I did get the nice lady with the swiss army jersey to see if I needed medical attention and she suggested I get off the trail up ahead and take a short cut back to the start area. She did not understand that there is still an invisible persistance award, anyway I said thanks but no thanks and continued with my Forrest gump impression to the finish. Thanks to Justin for the encouragement in the last stretch and everyone who cheered. As for the medical attention, thanks again for the help by everyone including Kirt's freind (I suck at names). I'll know hopefully what the exact story is tomorrow, my instincts are telling me I separated the ligament or tendon from the bone as the hard parts feel intact. It is already a nice navy blue and hurts like a bastard. Yeah I know it is only a thumb but i only have 2 and I need them both. Anyway now I have another fish story about the one that got away that I can tell while I look at my invisible award on my shelf. In life there are the Deion Sanders types who do it with talent but with lots of flash, and then there are the Walter Paytons who don't make it look pretty but they get it done, neither is better than the other but I know which one I personally have a greater respect for.

By the way I know I tend to go on and on but these raw excerpts are part of an article that I am planning to put together at the end of the season about my experiences of returning to racing. I apologize if it seems self indulgent and if people feel it is a bit much. If so, let me know and I will keep the bulk down and save it for the article. Funny note: when I got home my wife said that she thinks I should go back to doing something safer like riding my motorcycle!.

clutch

[...] I had to leave before the results but my time was 58: and change...anyone know where that puts me?

[...]

I'm pretty sure that puts you in second place. There were only 2 people in beginner men's 19-29 that were sub one hour.

pinkshirtphotos

great race location, great weather.... to bad i woke up late and no bike, or i would have race. :( i also have killer allergies that stopped me from taking photographs, quite bummed.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I had a great time. I got 5th in 30-39 beginner. This was my second race (lewis morris being my first in which I got 11th). Went pretty smooth for me, minus a couple of dismounts on hills that I made it right up on my saturday practice lap. At lewis morris I sprinted out of the start and burnt out by the top of the first hill. I made an effort to take it easy at the start this time and it worked out far better.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks to all the guys and girls at Bulldog for a great race.

I figured I throw what I had at from the start. Went out in the top 5 moved up to 4th felt pretty racey. About 10 minutes in, I found i had no recovery coming... ooops started too hard again (maybe I need to plan a warmup). I faded back to at least 10th. It took the remainder of the first lap to recover, but once I did I felt pretty good. Got back to my passing ways and found my way to another top 5 finish, despite two crashes (minor stuff). I made 2nd in the state championship. Pretty cool!;)

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I saw the bear! He saw me too. He was smack in the middle of the trail after the finish line on lap 2. My teammate and I just stopped and waited for him to move off, and then we made a dash for it.

Mountain bike racing is pretty cool! :)

Engignar

I'm pretty sure that puts you in second place. There were only 2 people in beginner men's 19-29 that were sub one hour.

Whooo! I'd be stoked if that was the case. I guess I should have signed up for the yearlong license after all. Bottom line though, it was fun to see how hard I can push myself, regardless of results.

BiknBen

I was second into the woods in my Expert SS race. I quickly lost a couple spots and then crashed surprisingly hard. My race pretty much ended right there. Deep breathes and pulling on the bars was painful. I finished 8th (last among those who finished).

I went to the ER last night. X-Rays showed no breakage. My ribs are very sore today.

To add insult to injury, I was wearing Oreo's helmet cam. I stopped half-way through the race to swap memory cards. Afterwards, he discovered that there was no data on the first card. No record of the first half of the race. I doubt there was anything useful in the second half. You get to see people blowing by me and watch me change a flat. Boo!!!

Oreo

I was second into the woods in my Expert SS race. I quickly lost a couple spots and then crashed surprisingly hard. My race pretty much ended right there. Deep breathes and pulling on the bars was painful. I finished 8th (last among those who finished).

I went to the ER last night. X-Rays showed no breakage. My ribs are very sore today.

To add insult to injury, I was wearing Oreo's helmet cam. I stopped half-way through the race to swap memory cards. Afterwards, he discovered that there was no data on the first card. No record of the first half of the race. I doubt there was anything useful in the second half. You get to see people blowing by me and watch me change a flat. Boo!!!

Glad you're ok man, I dont know what happened, im thinking maybe the card popped out when you crashed :confused: , now im bummed too and im sure lots of racers in here are curious about the fast guys race. Nextime man, there's always nextime. Just let me know if and when you wanna do it again.
They'll just have to settle with my slowpoke race video. :) and the second half of yours.

O

oak23

This was my first race ever, so thanks to everyone for making it a great experience. I entered the 30-39 Men's Beginner class.

I started fast, passing a few people in the first uphills but my chain fell off over some rocks ten minutes into the race - it got wedged into the bottom bracket and I couldn't get it out for a few minutes... was then passed by everyone I passed. oh well. Next lap I felt more relaxed and started getting into a groove, but dang there were a lot of rocks out there and my derailleurs were pretty messed up - kept popping in and out of gear on the climbs. Despite this, I had a really great time and I can't wait to race again.

Waited for about 25 minutes after the race but results hadn't come out yet so I took off. Hoping they'll release them online soon, even though I'm probably dead last or near the back of the pack. I just wanted to finish, push myself and not crash and I succeeded in all 3 so I was really happy. Thanks to the guys at the starting line that answered my questions about the race - and sorry to the one who had his 2nd flat of the race and (i think) had to drop out. Wish I had had an extra tube to throw you.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Pics are up...

Nathan's pictures are up on his site now...

http://nathancrisman.smugmug.com/Sports/528840

l_01e6559b63cf12700d86100d3aeae6a6.jpg

-Jim.

PS-Buy his pictures so he'll come out to all the races:D

Top Bottom