Bulldog "Bumps"

RNG1

Guys and gals, I have to warn you, I pre rode last week and a couple of days later I seem to have got what I have determined are chiggers from that place and I am one miserable bastard now. I am posting this to help anybody from potentially dealing with this crap. I have read all the remedies I can find which includes everything from nail polish to Benadryl to standing on my head and although the worst of the itching seems to have subsiding after applying tons of Hydrocordisone, it is gross, still itchy and still spreading on my leg. Of course the idiot award for great advice goes to this bozo who claimed " the best line of treatment is to avoid getting them". That person should be tarred and feathered. However a useful tip that I did read said that it takes them longer than a tick to actually penetrate so when you are out of a potential area make sure you at least wipe down well with a towel and if you can somehow rinse with warm soapy water that is even better. Be aware that if you wipe off with a towel that the cloth is now infested and even though you can't see them, the bastards will now get a free ride into your house and you have the same problem, so wash any clothing or things you wipe yourself with in very hot water immediately, or maybe just burn it all in a trash can. I am not sure if I have a particulary bad case or my body is somewhat allergic or what. Hope this is somewhat helpful to anyone. I do know that I am coming to this race with a vengeance and hope to be fast to get the hell out of there asap!:mad2:

RNG1

That was enthusiastic. If you want I can try and post a photo, I remember reading another thread posting injuries where there were people into that kind of thing.

MST.ESQ

Holy crap! Are the chiggers still under the skin???? Or do they (please god say yes) bite and run????

Hey Mare45: I like your tag line "When non-bikers ask how much your bike costs, always tell them $500. They will be in awe!". I have been racing a $460 Trek - are you in awe?

Mare

Hey Mare45: I like your tag line "When non-bikers ask how much your bike costs, always tell them $500. They will be in awe!". I have been racing a $460 Trek - are you in awe?

Shocks? Pegs? Lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Mare

That was enthusiastic. If you want I can try and post a photo, I remember reading another thread posting injuries where there were people into that kind of thing.

Post your parasites here!

Seriously though, I hope you feel better soon.

RNG1

No it is more gross than them just biting and leaving, and the truth is I was not rolling around in the grass by any means, the only time I remember and actual contact was the section where you go through the pretty flat single track with the tall grass whipping at your legs and trust me I was cranking through it.
read the excerp:

Chiggers, or harvest mites are microscopic, reddish arachnids that usually cannot be seen with the naked eye. The larvae (babies) hatch in grass and foliage and attach themselves to anyone who gets close enough for them to climb onto. After finding a suitable host, the larvae attaches itself to a pore or hair follicle and injects digestive enzymes into the hole that promptly dissolve the surrounding skin cells which are then used for nourishment by the growing chigger. Once they’ve eaten their fill they release from their hosts, grow into adults and feed on plant matter on which they lay more eggs.

The bites themselves usually progress into super-itchy, raised red welts that can take up to two weeks to heal. Below you will find instructions for eliminating chiggers as well as reducing the effects of their bites

Nice huh?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
And then set you on fire? You could sport a monk's robe and maybe make the 6:00 news.

(nothing is sacred here bro - hope you feel better)

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i know i don't know you at all... but you sure this isn't just a bad case of crabs? i have heard some stories...

Mare

Great! Now we are all going to get crabs. Thanks. What will this race now be known as? Crab Romp?

RNG1

No offense taken Norm, I haven't ruled that out yet. I suppose I can't rule out the crab thing except I would think that would be effecting a different area. Besides, my wife hasn't been scratching...

Mare

Let's just hope whatever you have you get it taken care of soon so you aren't in agony!

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Crab Romp - that is awesome.

seriously tho - feel better - i have had the experience of chiggers - they are awful.

ArmyOfNone

You may be ok if you ride in this...

saran.jpg

Mare

or this.

how come my photos are so small compared to all the others?

Attachments

• bodysuit.jpg
    bodysuit.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 83

xc62701

Well for those that haven't ridden there this place is not infested. I was there with the team trimming and crusing through it all last Saturday and no one on the team has any issues. Also I believe as usual a few days before the rangers will mow the grass so there are wider tolerances and issues with high grass should be a minimum.

Top Bottom