Building a bike rack

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
Someone posted a picture of their basement bike rack a while back. It looked to be mounted to the ceiling and the bikes hung by one wheel. I'm about to build one and would like the dimensions of said bike rack.

Thanks,
Mike

BiknBen

Someone posted a picture of their basement bike rack a while back.

You talking about a workstand or just a bike holder? I have a workstand mounted to my basement ceiling. It holds the bike while leaving the floor clear.
It's the gray thing holding the bike (Sidi sticker on it)
CIMG4302Small.jpg

CIMG4303Small.jpg

For bike storage, just get rubber covered storage hooks from Home Depot. Screw them into a secure stud wall or ceiling. If holes in the wall/ceiling are a concern, screw the hooks into a 2x4. Then secure the wood to the wall/ceiling with smaller screws.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
Its the storage kind. I have the hooks and will be getting the 2x4s so I wont have to worry about the stud spacing. I was also hoping the person would re-post the picture so I could marvel at their basement. It looked like a bike shop show room!

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
Not exactly what your looking for, but I kinda like this homemade rack

Looks good, I only have 3 issues:
1. My basement has an 8 foot celing
2. I'll need to rack 5+ bikes
3. I F***ING HATE IKEA. That place has got to be the most annoying store ever. What happened to just setting up a store with regular rows? If I wanted to stroll around Disney world, I would go there.

Check out the spokes on the cannondale. They are weird!

Last edited:

warcricket

Like a Jerk
I F***ING HATE IKEA. If I wanted to stroll around Disney world, I would go there.

u hate disney world?!

i made a bike stand out of an old 4 by 4 i found in the woods, and a couple of pieces of my neighbor's old deck. it's ugly but it works and holds 4 bikes.

but seriously tho, ikea, overlooking their poor quality products, is magical, and they have superb swedish meatballs!

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
but seriously tho, ikea, overlooking their poor quality products, is magical, and they have superb swedish meatballs!

I don't hate Disney, Mickey is my bro.

[Rant] IKEA just stroked me the wrong way when I went there at 8:30 last Tuesday night. They were open till 10:00 and I had on my usual "going to do my Christmas shopping Christmas eve" game face on. I was expecting in, pick a bed frame, pay and out. After wandering around the freaking place for 20 minutes looking for a damn short cut I found the beds. Picked out the frame. Told the person working there which one I wanted, they in turn handed me a "shopping list". I was like WTH?? A shopping list? I just wanted the damn bed frame. Then it took another 20 minutes to locate the warehouse (which there were no carts to be found in the warehouse) and checkout. Come to find out all of the cashiers close at 10:00 and the stragglers have to check themselves out. All I asked for is a store with some orderly system of aisles that you can walk through and someone else to load up the crap in my car. [/Rant]

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Were any of these the pictures? If so, they are just covered hooks like Ben said. They are probably from the hardware store as mr pixy hates home depot and ikea type places.

2225315337_8fb1fa2ccb.jpg

2225315361_1c177cd7f0.jpg

TommyCrash

I agree with hating IKEA! Don't make me a rat in a maze. I just wanted to GTF out of there!....and couldn't! Fr's:mad:
I wish I had that many bikes also

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
Were any of these the pictures? If so, they are just covered hooks like Ben said. They are probably from the hardware store as mr pixy hates home depot and ikea type places.

There are the pictures! Thanks Pixy! Looks like you just have them hanging from the floor joists. Easy enough.

Mare

I have the same idea in my living room cuz I live in a small condo with no garage. It works great!

Attachments

• Bikes2.JPG
    Bikes2.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 186

xc62701

I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't good to hang bikes with forks - something about the oil seepage. I could be wrong.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't good to hang bikes with forks - something about the oil seepage. I could be wrong.

That might be upside down. I notice that after my bike hangs from the garage for a while there is a lot of oil that weeps out of the seals. Let the fork sit for a few hours before riding and all is good. Fox recommends having the fork upside down for a while so the seals and other stuff on the top get lubed.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
this rack can hold 2 bikes got it at planet bike for $29
034.jpg

my room is tiny so everything is on the wall or stacked up...the TV is ready to go on the wall too but thats not as important to me as my bike...ask my GF...ahahahaha

NJ Jess

And that aint the half of it

Is that in your house? Holy F!:drooling:

The other side of the room has the tandems (2 of them) XC skis, down hill skis, and rollers & trainer setup station. On the other end of the room is the bike tool supplies and workshop. Every, and I mean everything (which includes compressor and sink) in a neat and organized station. Wicked cool! If I win the lottery I'm going to add on to my shoebox of a house a bike room. I'm not an envious person, but their bike room is to die for.

Got to go do my Laundry,...hummm. funny urge.

Top Bottom