Building a Bamboo Frame

anrothar

entirely thrilled
this will be my main winter project.

Inspiration: http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=photos/2006/tech/features/nahmbs061/Calfee_29er

Goal: design and build a homemade bamboo 29er ss frame. ride it at least once before it falls apart. ;)

Details: These are supposedly really strong, stiff and fairly light. calfee has built several in different variations, and some other guy has made his own version with carbon lugz and has ridden and raced it for going on three years. i'll use dropouts, bb shell, and maybe headtube and seattube collar from old bikes i have laying around.

Parts:
Bamboo poles/stakes($??)
Hemp twine(purchased at $42 for 8,000ft shipped)
Disk dropouts from novacycles.com(@$25 shipped)(maybe)
Parts cut from old frames(free)

Estimated cost:
<$100

Last edited:

walter

Fourth Party
That bike is bad ass.

My goal, is to be riding with you when it comes apart:D

Good luck, should be fun

anrothar

entirely thrilled
first ride will be a group ride then, somewhere with nice soft sand to fall in when it falls apart maybe. perhaps allaire?

ArmyOfNone

I am so there too. Id like one for myself. Not even so much to ride, but more of a conversation piece. Although to have one to ride would be cool. Either way I want one! Ill be following this closely.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
there was an article about this in either dirt rag or bicycling in the last couple of issues. apparently it's got some crazy strength.

walter

Fourth Party
Sean, if you would lke we could put some wheels on my wicker furniture and ride that around and save some $$$

anrothar

entirely thrilled
oh but that's where you're wrong cola man. :D this should cost less than your wicker furniture cost brand new. i think. how much does wicker furniture cost?

D

DANSPANK

I think the article is in Bicycling. A US guy is helping villagers in Africa with instructions on how to create the frames as they have the materials over there, just not the know-how. It was a good read whilst on the throne.

It's not that I want to see Sean smack his front teeth out but I think after hucking something big in Blue Mountain or Trumball, the failure would be like an organic fireworks display - kind of sureal maybe. So count me in on that ride. Perhaps I'll endo for the occasion too.

J-Dro

When the bike finally falls apart in the sand, we all have to immediately stop, burn the bamboo in a huge bonfire, and proceed to have an all night rave in Sean's honor.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
When the bike finally falls apart in the sand, we all have to immediately stop, burn the bamboo in a huge bonfire, and proceed to have an all night rave in Sean's honor.

So when can I start whipping out my numbers stations quotes?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
sean, get me an estimate on total costs. i will consider funding some or all of this out of my own pocket if you will document the entire experience here.

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
Take it to the next level and grow your own bamboo! I have a rubber tree plant to donate to the cause for tires & grips. Good luck.

Wazu

I'd definately like to come to the maiden voyage of the Bamboo Banshi. If it falls apart we can all go out and drink a few pints. If it succeeds we can all go out and drink a few pints. I think getting the bike parts to be square to each other and the frame is gonna be super tough. It think it's harder than it looks but I'd sure love to own one to ride around town!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
wazu: i've taken a tig welded frame building course(2 weeks) at bti before, so frame alignment isn't foreign to me. shouldnt be too difficult, but i am going to spend a good amount of time on that part to make sure it's right.

tjyeti: i've thought about that, but i really don't think i'll be able to get it to grow to the lengths and diameters i need between now and winter....:D

jake: will do. should seriously be less than $100.

Top Bottom