Building a Bamboo Frame

Wazu

anrothar my hat's off to ya for trying this. It's a super cool venture. Definately out of my league but like I was saying I'd love to own one. I'll still stick with my "tougher than it looks" stance hands down, 2 week course or not. It can be done but harder than it seems I'd say. I think the professor on Gilligan's Island made one............or was it the Flintstones>?

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
A customers wife in Mendham has a Calfee road bike. It is badass lookin and it didn't feel like it was any less durable than any other bike...............

this will be my main winter project.

Inspiration: http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=photos/2006/tech/features/nahmbs061/Calfee_29er

Goal: design and build a homemade bamboo 29er ss frame. ride it at least once before it falls apart. ;)

Details: These are supposedly really strong, stiff and fairly light. calfee has built several in different variations, and some other guy has made his own version with carbon lugz and has ridden and raced it for going on three years. i'll use dropouts, bb shell, and maybe headtube and seattube collar from old bikes i have laying around.

Parts:
Bamboo poles/stakes($??)
Hemp twine(purchased at $42 for 8,000ft shipped)
Parts cut from old frames(free)

Estimated cost:
<$100

;) Anrothar,......you may as well take it all the way and wear clothes made out of bamboo for your maiden voyage,..... www.bambooclothes.com

And we'd definitely need a videotape of it for the Media Room Forum - instant classic for sure.:)

anrothar

entirely thrilled
ok, first mild dilema.

do i build it with:

A- salvaged bb from old frame, cut the chainstays to work with a 32x20 magic gear.

B- set screw eccentric bb.

C- get the shell for an expanding type, then use the ebb out of the rig, which i could upgrade later. this being the most expensive option.

hhmmm.

ytc100

ok, first mild dilema.

do i build it with:

A- salvaged bb from old frame, cut the chainstays to work with a 32x20 magic gear.

B- set screw eccentric bb.

C- get the shell for an expanding type, then use the ebb out of the rig, which i could upgrade later. this being the most expensive option.

hhmmm.

Since Jake is paying for it I say go with the most expensive option.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
:hmmm:

*starts dreaming of a relieved philwood set screw type with the brazing equiptment to put the screw guides on the bb shell........

j/k. it will most likely be: buy a shell for wedge style and use the ebb out of my rig. i'm all about making this economical, with a few luxuries.

RyGanley

I just got back from Hong Kong.. they use only Bamboo and Rope to build the same 8 story Scaffolding you see in NYC. That stuff is super strong! I might just try it out for some new parts.

Mike679

I was just up at the cafeteria at the Columbia campus in Palisades (I work up there a couple days a week on a construction project) and they have an actual bike on display. Thing's got a real long wheel base and the rear wheel is reinforced w/ bamboo spokes.

Was rather heavy, but then again the bike on display is a "cargo" bike, so it's not built for speed.

Nevertheless, pretty cool stuff.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
that link is a huge help ellen, as it shows build pics. makes me think this will be easier than i thought... interesting seeing that they use strand fiber, not twine. will be interesting to see the differences with me using twine.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
nope. never actually got the bamboo. s'pose i could still do it, or put it off till i get to alaska.

Top Bottom