Build Sheet

mtn

So I’m building a bike. I’m wondering what parts I still need before I can throw this thing together.
Have:
  1. Trek Slash Frame w/RS Monarch
  2. DVO Diamond Fork
  3. Onyx F&R Hubs
  4. DT Swiss EX511 Rims
  5. Spokes and Nipples w/lock
  6. Sram GX 12sp Cassette (to match onyx xd driver)
  7. Fox Transfer 150mm
  8. Ion Grips
  9. Shimano Chain
  10. RF Turbine Dropper lever
  11. FSA
    Headset

12. RF Turbine Stem
  13. RF Turbine Aluminum Bars

14. OneUp Composite Pedals
  15. BB Infinite BB​
  16. Shimano m8100 Crankset​
  17. Shimano CM85 Chainring​
  18. Shimano m7100 Derailleur​
  19. Shimano m8100 Shifter
    Needed:​
  20. Tires
  21. Tubeless Tape and Valves
  22. Shimano SLX or Zee 4 piston brakes and rotors
  23. Something to sit on

Last edited:

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is the spacing on shimano 12 speed cassettes the same a on sram? Might want to check that you can still use shimano/sram mixed up like thst

mtn

Is the spacing on shimano 12 speed cassettes the same a on sram? Might want to check that you can still use shimano/sram mixed up like thst
From what I’ve gathered from onyx and a couple videos is that the spacing is nearly identical. Onyx actually suggested it to me since I have the wrong driver body for shimano.

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
Looks like a good list!
  • Cables although if you buy retail shifter they come with
  • The M7100, M8100, M8020, Zee, Saint all awesome! You can also consider Shimano MT520 brakes, they are 4 piston and Deore level. I have some on 2 bikes and they seem to have as much power as my M7000/Zee setup. In some cases I just replaced the caliper since I had a Deore lever.
  • Chainring? - see next bullet if it came on the crank above.
  • If you use a Shimano chain, you may need to use the Eagle quick release with most non HG+ chainrings.
  • Did you mean 760-780mm bars :)
  • Grips

I've been using these pedals lately, somewhat clones or Raceface chester. I have them on most of my bikes now and they have been going strong for months - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D66NDS3/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=AHI4VEXMIWQE7&psc=1

I'm more than happy to help you build it.

I was going to post the slight differences in SRAM/Shimano spacing video too. I don't have first hand experience with it as I'm using Sunrace MZ903 11/51 on an HG hub.

Reactions: mtn

mtn

Looks like a good list!
  • Cables although if you buy retail shifter they come with
  • The M7100, M8100, M8020, Zee, Saint all awesome! You can also consider Shimano MT520 brakes, they are 4 piston and Deore level. I have some on 2 bikes and they seem to have as much power as my M7000/Zee setup. In some cases I just replaced the caliper since I had a Deore lever.
  • Chainring? - see next bullet if it came on the crank above.
  • If you use a Shimano chain, you may need to use the Eagle quick release with most non HG+ chainrings.
  • Did you mean 760-780mm bars :)
  • Grips

I've been using these pedals lately, somewhat clones or Raceface chester. I have them on most of my bikes now and they have been going strong for months - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D66NDS3/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=AHI4VEXMIWQE7&psc=1

I'm more than happy to help you build it.

I was going to post the slight differences in SRAM/Shimano spacing video too. I don't have first hand experience with it as I'm using Sunrace MZ903 11/51 on an HG hub.

Do you know the difference between the Zee and 7100 brakes? If any?

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
The Zee calipers are more (exactly?) like Saint and the 1st gen XT M8020, the Zee levers are different then XT/Saint and are the older style like M675/M785. 7100 are the newer generation caliper which fits the lower profile finned pads, also the lever has a thumbscrew for reach rather than a hex key. The newer levers mount a bit differently so they flex less. If none of that matters go for cheaper. In all honestly all of the 4 piston calipers MT520 onward with 180 fr/rr can stop my 225lb w/o issue. They feel the exact same to me but I don't have the newer M7100/M8100.

Reactions: mtn

mtn

I now have the money for a crankset. I would like to go with Shimano SLX or higher, but I do not understand which one to get. The bike is non-boost (142mm) and from what I researched it should be a 46ish chain line, however the smallest they have is 52. Add in the Q-factor and I have zero idea what I should buy.

FrankV

I now have the money for a crankset. I would like to go with Shimano SLX or higher, but I do not understand which one to get. The bike is non-boost (142mm) and from what I researched it should be a 46ish chain line, however the smallest they have is 52. Add in the Q-factor and I have zero idea what I should buy.
Maybe look at another brand, rotor is a solid option. My slash is boost though, what year is it?

Top Bottom