Brown Residue inside my Osprey Hydration Pack .

serviceguy

After a ride I forgot some of the water mixed with Vitalyte electrolytes in my Osprey 2.5l hydration pack for several days...I guess I should ride more, I know, I know. Anyway, it produced some light brown residue that I tried and scrub away with the cleaning tools and even with the tablets provide by the manufacturer to clean the bladder but still nothing, the brawn-ish patina is still there. Should I ditch the bladder all together or it's just a cosmetic issue and it's still safe to use?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
if you have sterilized it with the camelbak cleaning tabs i would think its cosmetic at this point, but this type of thing is exactly what im afraid of happening and why i only put water in my pack, mix always goes in a bottle that can be tossed in the dishwasher (or is cheap enough to toss if something like this happens)

serviceguy

if you have sterilized it with the camelbak cleaning tabs i would think its cosmetic at this point, but this type of thing is exactly what im afraid of happening and why i only put water in my pack, mix always goes in a bottle that can be tossed in the dishwasher (or is cheap enough to toss if something like this happens)
Solid feedback, thanks. I think that from now on I'll only use water in the pack...in 2025 probably.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
So just to be clear, are you saying the bladder is stained but there’s no actual residue on the inside or funky taste to the water? If so, I think you’re fine.

JDurk

Only put wooder in the bladder. Drain and put it in the refrigerator deli drawing between use, or freezer for longer duration.

LukeW

After a ride I forgot some of the water mixed with Vitalyte electrolytes in my Osprey 2.5l hydration pack for several days...I guess I should ride more, I know, I know. Anyway, it produced some light brown residue that I tried and scrub away with the cleaning tools and even with the tablets provide by the manufacturer to clean the bladder but still nothing, the brawn-ish patina is still there. Should I ditch the bladder all together or it's just a cosmetic issue and it's still safe to use?
My osprey pack is only a year old and I only clean it with dish soap and water, yet the entire bladder is tinted yellow, so yours might be similar. I don’t think it’s any sort of dangerous mold or dirt, just wear.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Soak with bleach. No need to remove.

drinking-disinfectants-or.jpg

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tablet or salt/bleach water, scrub, rinse, drain, dry. Probably just discolored. I only put water in the bladder. Use bottles for mixes.

Last edited:

scotth

I used to put the denture cleaning tabs in the bladder with plain water thinking it helped with disinfecting. I don’t have it anymore so I’m not sure if it was discolored at all.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Water only in the bladder, never clean it, buy a new one every year. This weekend I brought a bottle and some GU tabs, and I refilled the bottle from my Camelbak a few times.

ilnadi

My osprey pack is only a year old and I only clean it with dish soap and water, yet the entire bladder is tinted yellow, so yours might be similar. I don’t think it’s any sort of dangerous mold or dirt, just wear.
My son and I both have osprey packs. His got the yellow tint (especially where the hose runs across the bladder) but mine did not. No idea what's different

rick81721

Lothar
You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just say 'Fire' with optional animated gif of fire...right @MadisonDan ?

View attachment 127036

Out of curiosity, I looked at my osprey bladder/hose. There is a little brown stain at the bottom of the bladder - the hose, especially the exposed part, is turning yellow-brown - assuming from sun oxidation. Pretty much worst case scenario down here - but I only put water in mine

serviceguy

Out of curiosity, I looked at my osprey bladder/hose. There is a little brown stain at the bottom of the bladder - the hose, especially the exposed part, is turning yellow-brown - assuming from sun oxidation. Pretty much worst case scenario down here - but I only put water in mine
I was thinking about the water only thing actually, I was assuming it would prevent the discoloration due to the organic material in the electrolyte decaying after a while, but unless you only use distilled water you would still have some amount of organic material that will eventually go yellow/brown...no?

rick81721

Lothar
I was thinking about the water only thing actually, I was assuming it would prevent the discoloration due to the organic material in the electrolyte decaying after a while, but unless you only use distilled water you would still have some amount of organic material that will eventually go yellow/brown...no?

yep - our water down here is on the hard side

Top Bottom