Brookside Rd to Sunrise Pond in Lewis Morris

Dirt

Hey folks. I'm a 43 yr old just now getting into the mtb scene. Totally out of shape but having fun trying to get the edge back. Anyway, I've been riding from Ironia Rd to Brookside and back, with only having to hop off going over the logs back onto the bridge near the elementary school.

I'd like to stay on the trail and ride to Sunrise Pond in Lewis Morris. Going down the steep hill by the horse corral, then making that 90deg turn is one thing going down, but I can't make it back up yet without hopping off. Is there hope?

Also, how technical is beyond this point? I've gone as a steep drop shortly after this corral, then a quick stream crossing to the steep drop, but haven't gone any further. Right now, that's a long uphill climb back to Coldhill Rd before going back downhill. I know it will get easier, but...

Also, are the trails in Lewis Morris much harder than what I've been on so far? I live in Mendham, so would like to frequent the park as much as possible although when I'm with my son I need something much flatter (he's 8 and on a single speed, and just learning).

BTW, the attached shows where I ended last night (was getting dark and had to get back).

Thanks all.

Attachments

• 20090907.JPG
    20090907.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 419

John Baumann

Welcome to the sport, Sport! There is hope...

You picked a good trail to begin on. Stay with it, go further each time, and don't be afraid to push yourself. There's nothing there that challenging so as to discourage you and you will find yourself improving quickly. Riding with your son is a different story. To get better, you need to ride with better riders.
I remember when all those hills and obstacles you described seemed insurmountable, especially the water crossing way up by the Ralston Fire House.
Now, if I want a high speed medium distance non technical ride after work, I'll start from Speedwell lake in Morristown, go the full distance and back in less than two hours.
Lemme know if you're around after work one day and I'd be glad to "encourage" you along.

Dirt

Thanks John. I greatly appreciate it.

I feel a bit better about it today. With today being the first day of school, I decided to work from home and sneak in a quick ride before work. Only went from our house, to coldhill then down to the sunrise lake spot, but on the way back, I did make it up the corral hill. So felt great about that. Couldn't make it up that one really steep hill between Tingley and the corral though. Bailed at 1/2 way. I'll keep trying. Still have to hop off the bike too on 2 bridges - one by police station and one by the school, but hopefully eventually will get over all that. Thanks for the encouragement. It's greatly appreciated.

At least with today, I know that I can take my son down to sunrise lake and have him ride the trail back to that steep hill and back to the lake. Should be fun for him. Thanks again.

Rozack

I ride that area all the time. I live in Ironia part of Randolph. I usally ride at Lewis Morris of Tues and Thurs. Start off on the Yellow Trail stay to the left, to the back lot and come back the same way, its mostly a gravel road and not to hilly. It's a good start. As you get better try the whole yellow trail. I had to push my bike up the hills the first couple of rides there. Gets easier every time.

Dirt

Thanks for the encouragement. I hit Lewis Morris yesterday for the first time. Did the yellow trail with a bit of bike-n-hike.

I feel like I'm getting stronger. Just finished an 18 mile ride on Patriots Path. Started at Ralston, went to Sussex and back with a few little explorations thrown in for good measure. My skills are getting better though as I can now cross the bridge by the elementary school and the bridge by the police station. Some of the climbs still wear me out, but I think the fitness will eventually come.

Here's today's ride. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/14413643

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions

Trail Conditions not available
Top Bottom