Broken pawl and spring in Salsa 197 hub

I've followed the rear hub engagement trend after back to back crap Hope hub body's cracking. Since I have had Chris King SS and road Hadley from my steel hardtail to wives superlight.
I9 on my fatty and now onyx on the ripmo.

That CK on my SS 2008 and never had it serviced, same with the Hadley 2010. I9 been on a couple fatty frames now 2014. Let's hope onyx is the same because its super sweet. I am huge believer in engagement and quality in rear hubs.

you've never broken a chain? you are still young. plenty of time. ;)
Seriously... I have replaced 1 chain due to stretch.... then there was this fire thing.... for real ?
Everything I have replaced so far... was for upgrade... or at least the perception of an upgrade ?

Last edited:
Seriously... I have replaced 1 chain due to stretch.... then there was this fire thing.... for real ?
Everything I have replaced so far... was for upgrade... or at least the perspective of an upgrade ?

you get a local hero star for preventative maintenance!

Or call them out for not taking a stand on social issues.

0B32A11B-8D2D-4FC9-A4BD-3393407504A4.png

I think the pawl I have will work but no spring. Can you save the spring? What size wheel is is this?

I just checked the spring - and whatever i found floating around inside there wasn't piece of it, so it is intact.
Now i need to figure out where a small piece of metal came from.

it is my fat wheel - 26" x 90mm

Same place I bought the Fatboy SL wheelset for $250. I think these are leftover older models.

@Patrick check both the ratchet ring teeth and the pawl pockets to find the missing piece of metal (actually, check the pawl pockets, anyway--they often become deformed if a pawl breaks). If your ratchet ring is broken you need to find both a new ring AND a tool to remove the old one, which is typically screwed in, but are sometimes pressed/need a slide-hammer blind puller to remove. At any rate, if the ring is damaged, the hub is probably a total write off.

Back
Top Bottom