Brewery news

JDurk

Several, smaller breweries have recently closed down here in SJ. Recently heard that the CEO and head brewer have left Flyin' Fish and is currently in bankruptcy protection. Forgotten Boardwalk, which took over F.F. original space in Cherry Hill when F.F. moved to it's current location in Somerdale, announced this today.
1705088035879.png

Between the 2, that would be a lot of unused brewing capacity. Neither brewed anything that I ever really liked or wanted to tried. Who drinks funnel cake flavored beer?

Anyway, saw Neshaminy Creek is opening up another tasting room and yesterday, saw that Tonewood took delivery of 3 more tanks.
20240111_074108.jpg

Last edited:

Cole

Several, smaller breweries have recently closed down here in SJ. Recently heard that the CEO and head brewer have left Flyin' Fish and is currently in bankruptcy protection. Forgotten Boardwalk, which took over F.F. original space in Cherry Hill when F.F. moved to it's current location in Somerdale, announced this today.
View attachment 230869

Between the 2, that would be a lot of unused brewing capacity. Neither brewed anything that I ever really liked or wanted to tried. Who drinks funnel cake flavored beer?

Anyway, saw Neshaminy Creek is opening up another tasting room and yesterday, saw that Tonewood took delivery of 3 more tanks.
View attachment 230872
Where is the new neshaminy? I saw they pulled out of new hope

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm wondering how much the brewery thing is a semi fad.

I'm sure many will stick around but it seems the formula for the location/food/drink has to be done right or they're unable to make money with enough market saturation.

5 Breweries in my town and each has figured out a way to be special in their own little way. But up in Asheville where there's a ton of breweries there's constant news of them shutting down in a saturated market where they can't keep up.

Personally I think they're great as they are typically a relaxed place to get together with people and they are a "3rd place" for many people.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim

The Kalmyk

I'm wondering how much the brewery thing is a semi fad.

I'm sure many will stick around but it seems the formula for the location/food/drink has to be done right or they're unable to make money with enough market saturation.

5 Breweries in my town and each has figured out a way to be special in their own little way. But up in Asheville where there's a ton of breweries there's constant news of them shutting down in a saturated market where they can't keep up.

Personally I think they're great as they are typically a relaxed place to get together with people and they are a "3rd place" for many people.

Fact: Its all a fad.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fact: Its all a fad.
Had lunch at Sierra Nevada today. Place is built like a wedding venue, could probably seat more people eating and drinking than a venue housing 3 weddings at a time. Maybe not a complete fad. Positioned well, right next to the airport and the huge Pump-Track/Climbing-Gym/Yoga venue across the street.

Did Wednesday night run club at yet another Brewery. Entire parking lot full and place packed. I think if done right they're great meeting places.

Maybe somewhat of a fad, but probably many/most will make it if they do a good job.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That's huge for breweries. It was pretty crazy they couldn't even organize food trucks to be on their premises. Most breweries by me either sell for or have rotating food trucks. Well, so do the bike shops, food trucks are awesome.

1705539839088.png

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Had lunch at Sierra Nevada today. Place is built like a wedding venue, could probably seat more people eating and drinking than a venue housing 3 weddings at a time. Maybe not a complete fad. Positioned well, right next to the airport and the huge Pump-Track/Climbing-Gym/Yoga venue across the street.

Did Wednesday night run club at yet another Brewery. Entire parking lot full and place packed. I think if done right they're great meeting places.

Maybe somewhat of a fad, but probably many/most will make it if they do a good job.
Sierra nevada is probably a bad example. As a non drinker, if i know the name, it probably going to be ok. Its all the little ones that pop up that will have a tougher time.
That being said, there is a constant supply of people graduation from partying 20’s to middle age that are looking for something less bar vibe’ish and where they can take their kids.

The Kalmyk

Yeah alcohol dependency aint no fad, but the people tryin to make it cool are a fad.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sierra nevada is probably a bad example. As a non drinker, if i know the name, it probably going to be ok. Its all the little ones that pop up that will have a tougher time.
That being said, there is a constant supply of people graduation from partying 20’s to middle age that are looking for something less bar vibe’ish and where they can take their kids.
Yeah. Exactly.

Heck my running club has trouble finding seats as there's now a Wednesday woman's Fly Lure club or something that meets.

It's a place to hangout. A library where you can make noise and open late. And not trying to get you to leave like a restaurant.

Only real downside I see is if people have a drinking problem. Luckily I can happily drink water while others are drinking around me.

Cassinonorth

Interestingly NJ is still one of the lowest breweries per capita in the country.

It's similar to JORBA vs VMBA...Vermont just draws enough tourism to make it work.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Interestingly NJ is still one of the lowest breweries per capita in the country.

It's similar to JORBA vs VMBA...Vermont just draws enough tourism to make it work.
Well, it makes sense. The laws for a long time made it unappealing to open a brewery.

And outside of NYC residents going to a Hoboken or Jersey City, I don't see breweries in NJ being a tourist destination. NJ doesn't have real tourism but the population is so high and dense within the state that there's a fair amount of inner state tourism. Breweries will flourish as the 3rd place and the ones that figure out how to do it right will stick around.

And I'll support the ones that do fresh made fruit seltzer even more.

OddTrickStar

Glad to see that legislation but it never should have been needed. Our local brewery had regular food trucks until those old rules were rolled out. The town stepped up and was announcing them being on the street instead, 😉

Never tried anything from Flying Fish that I personally liked. However, I have seen an uptick in restaurants/ bars that have Tonewood’s Fuego on tap.

JDurk

Co-worker emailed to me this morning.

From my NJCraft Beer Group –

A new brewery from some old friends will be getting underway. I have a long press release which you will be seeing from lots of media outlets. Here is an introduction to it! Best of luck to this new addition to NJ brewery scene.

"Wander Back Beerworks is proud to announce their entry into the South Jersey craft beer scene. Founded by three veterans of the brewing industry – Christopher Henke, a founder of Cape May Brewing Company; Brian Hink, Cape May’s original Head Brewer; and Justin Vitti, CMBC’s former General Manager of Sales and Distribution –, the three are bringing their vast brewing experience to the heart of South Jersey in Vineland, NJ. With a combined 33 years of experience in brewing and distribution, the trio is poised to place Cumberland County as a premier brewing destination by wandering back to basics."

THATmanMANNY

Mostly dry 2024 but when in Rome.

I went to Flounder (first night out post kid's cancer treatment!) and Backward Flag Brewery (forked river nj) on a whim while in the area

Backwards flag was good. Reminded me of the old Flounder vibes and I love the story and mission. Go if you can!

Top Bottom