Brendan T. Byrne State Forest

onetracker

Strange, second largest SF (38.5K acres) in NJ. Not much mention of this SF except what I can find on Trail Forks but the parking area looks to be on a road unsuitable for compact cars without 4x4 capability. Is this place interesting? Would this be a good place to park:
103 Shinns Rd
Browns Mills, NJ 08015
United States

Are the trails well marked?

sandman

The marked trails are well marked, but not a lot of marked trails. The best trails are not marked, but you need to know where you are. Park at the office or Pakem Pond. Maps are at both spots. HOWEVER! If you are around this Saturday. I am leading a ride from the office at 9am. 24 miles.
I still stand by what I wrote earlier. 2 days at Wharton.

onetracker

The marked trails are well marked, but not a lot of marked trails. The best trails are not marked, but you need to know where you are. Park at the office or Pakem Pond. Maps are at both spots. HOWEVER! If you are around this Saturday. I am leading a ride from the office at 9am. 24 miles.
Thx. Trail Forks shows a bunch of trails. I wish I was around this weekend. I would love to ride with you!!

tankhead

Sandman wrote:

Please explain if you could?

I might not be able to go Saturday. Still working out the details.

However I would love to get a group together another time if you would like to lead another ride here. Lunch on me!

onetracker

Sandman wrote:

However I would love to get a group together another time if you would like to lead another ride here. Lunch on me!
I think he means that the riding is better at WSF. I would agree but BBSF is pretty and very boggy. Gets cold in there with all that evaporation.

43CE15FC-1DA6-418D-9C2F-F11F52AA2F2C.jpeg

sandman

Sandman wrote:

ONETRACKER was asking about driving from LBI to Black Run and if it was worth the long ride. He was planning to go to Wharton. I said that if I only had 2 days and, in his situation, I would go to Wharton both days. Wharton has more marked trail miles than any other park in the pine lands. Most if not all of the locals know a lot of trails, marked or not marked, but the advice was given to a person who is not a local.
tankhead; I ride every Saturday, so just let me know.

tankhead

Thanks for the in depth clarification Sandman. I ask because I would love to discover more of that area so thanks and I will be in touch. Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend the ride on Saturday. Enjoy!

onetracker

ONETRACKER was asking about driving from LBI to Black Run and if it was worth the long ride. He was planning to go to Wharton. I said that if I only had 2 days and, in his situation, I would go to Wharton both days. Wharton has more marked trail miles than any other park in the pine lands. Most if not all of the locals know a lot of trails, marked or not marked, but the advice was given to a person who is not a local.
tankhead; I ride every Saturday, so just let me know.
I totally agree with this POV. Hope to catch you for a ride in the Pines some time 😀

sandman

2nd chance to do the GFBD ride. This Saturday 12/17, 9am, from the office of Brendan T Byrne. 24 miles. Any mountain bike.

1speeder

2nd chance to do the GFBD ride. This Saturday 12/17, 9am, from the office of Brendan T Byrne. 24 miles. Any mountain bike.
If I can rearrange some things this weekend, I might be able to join you. I only know the 10-mile Mt. Misery loop (which I broke my tibia on in a freak mishap on the unicycle a few years ago). Do you intend to ride the fattie?

sandman

If I can rearrange some things this weekend, I might be able to join you. I only know the 10-mile Mt. Misery loop (which I broke my tibia on in a freak mishap on the unicycle a few years ago). Do you intend to ride the fattie?
yes, i will ride my single speed coaster brake fat bike.

sandman

Sandman wrote:

It's been over a year now! Still waiting for lunch.

tankhead

Haha
I forgot all about it. You coming down this Sunday for the 25 miler???? You never know what might be waiting…
Happy holidays!!

Top Bottom