Break-in period for studs really necessary?

R

rltrock

I just got studded tire for the rear (Schwalbe Ice Spiker)

Got same one for the front a couple of weeks ago and put in 6 road miles before hitting the trails.

Want to hit the trails this wkend, so will be putting minimal road miles on the new tire before I do.

The front studs seem to be holding up well despite not breaking them in for the recommended 25mi.

Do I really need to do the break-in miles?

Any experience here?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'd break 'em in as much as possible.

my nokians were recco'd for 30 miles. i put on zero and lost a few studs. brett (hardtale) actually read the directions, did his 30 miles and didn't lose one. for the price of these things, i'd do my best to follow the directions. or at least get close.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Great.. So I need to ride 30 miles on the road before I can play on the ice!

No fun.

The Kalmyk

I'm making my own with Nevegals...I'm not really worried about loosing studs as much as wearing the screws down:hmmm:...I leave em long and let the trail wear em down...

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm making my own with Nevegals...I'm not really worried about loosing studs as much as wearing the screws down:hmmm:...I leave em long and let the trail wear em down...

Be wary of the longer screws they are like velcro and really slow you down take a hand grinder to them. longer screws also not good on hard to sheet ice terrain. Hey spence come north for some snow riding...

The Kalmyk

Be wary of the longer screws they are like velcro and really slow you down take a hand grinder to them. longer screws also not good on hard to sheet ice terrain. Hey spence come north for some snow riding...

Thanks Matt...I going to buy a grinder bit for my Dremmel on my way home...Next week I'm thinking...I'll keep in touch

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep

On homemades don't ride on screw tips, ride on the hex heads. If you are on 26 look at the Innovas they are so cheap its not worth the time tryin diy.........

Top Bottom