Break-in oil change

ellbiddy

So I just picked up my superfly and it's super fly ;) I was wondering how many of you guys actually replace the oil in them after the break in period. I've changed the oil on my other fox forks and it's not a "hard" procedure but it gets messy. I'm debating doing this, but since it's a brand spanky new awesome bike I was thinking of being on top of this, I was also probably going to replace the oil in the other 2 fox forks as well as it's been about a year.

Also does anyone have know if Rockshox has purty service manuals like Fox does that one can follow to replace/rebuild their stuff?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
How long is the break-in? As you know Fox forks are really short and manitou used to be really long. Personally I ride the stuff with the factory oil/seals as long as I can. I would wait until the first recommended oil change (after the break In) in the owner manual.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Break in is like 2-3 normal rides from what I've been reading.

I have heard of metal shards/dirt from the factory in forks but changing the oil after 2 -3 would be a waste of time for me, go ahead and tinker if it makes you feel better though :D

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I took my fork apart right out of the box. It's not uncommon for Fox's to ship with low oil volume, so for me I'd rather just get it out of the way. I also check to make sure the travel is set in the right spot. Changing the oil and checking the seals is very easy to do and only takes a few minutes. Add it to your standard bike maintenance and your fork will last a long long time:D

-Jim.

THATmanMANNY

uhhh ive ridden my fork out of box for 500mi with no service yet

is that bad? did i break it? :rolleyes:

air pressure never drops in it or anything tho

gtluke

The Moped
hmm
Guess I just added something to my winter to-do list
800 miles on my epic and I never even thought about that. haha

ellbiddy

On an aside, have any of you folks had to have your bushings "sized" or replaced? I'm very far away from this being an issue for at least 2 years, but just out of curiousity has anyone done this/had this done?

ellbiddy

It's a fox fork so it's a little sketchy about the details/tools, but this is for my other bikes with fox forks too. Don't think I'm trying to replace the bushings on a brand new bike :rofl: I can get the bushings for "cheap" from enduro @ ~30 bucks for a set, the concept behind ripping them out and putting them in is straight forward, but the tool to pull them out and push them back in is what's lacking. Some guy on MTBR built one, but I don't have a lathe available to tool around with, maybe the rockshox tools would work, they have a cooky method of doing it where you "catch" the bushing with a hook like plate and drag it out, but the insertion is the same, just a rod with a shoulder that gets hammered in at the right depth.

I know they sell shops the tool to do this, but its off limits to the likes of me. Maybe I can get something made at a machine shop after ripping apart one of my forks for an oil change and measure it all out.

Edit: The rockshox removal and installation tools run about 180 for the combo, and they're even more simple than what the guy on mtbr did, it's just a rod that you clamp down and yank out the bushings. The installation tools are virtually identical, just some rods with shoulders.

Last edited:
Top Bottom