Brakes?

Ron

Magura MT7 Raceline or Shimano XT M8120?

2020 Pivot Trail 429 is what they are going on. I used Magura brakes around 2000 for a bit. Then switched to Shimano XT.

JDurk

Had Magura MT Race on a bike a few years ago. Never really found that I liked them. Had them fail on me once 7mi in at Rattling Creek and again during a 4hr race at French Creek. Can't go wrong with the XTs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I hear great things about the MT7. I have a hard charging buddy who says they’re the best he’s ever tried.

ebarker9

I'm running Magura MT5s and MT5 eSTOP on my two mountain bikes and really like them. Shimano brakes are also great but it doesn't sound like they've ever fully resolved the "wandering bite point" issue, which to me is kind of unacceptable. Likely an issue blown out of proportion online, but something that I've experienced in the past on XTs and not eager to repeat.

I'd also totally recommend the Code R's that I have listed in the "For Sale" forum :D

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm a fan of XT's for serviceability and parts availability (although I heard 4-piston pads are currently hard to find). I had the wandering bite on my current set which was solved with a lever bleed. YMMV.

Dingo

Only 1 set of my XT's (2017) have the wandering bite point. Been bled a few times with little change. Seems when they get hot the lever moves away from the bar. I set the bite point when hot, and just deal with it. Good bite otherwise, no real complaints. Way better than the multitude of hayes and sram/Avid crap I wasted money on for 15 years.

The other set (2010) never had the problem, and only bled those once in 10 yrs.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I been running the Formula Curas (not 4 pot) on 2 and soon to be 3 bikes. So far so good. Modulation Sram like, priced pretty reasonable.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You guys never had your srams bleed properly then, I've run codes forever on Dh bikes. The Ultimate's I had my fatbike were my favorite hydros till these formulas.

Ian F

🤣🤣🤣 trp have more modulation than sram and I run my bite point really close to the bar . Most people who hop on my bike are like yea you don't have any brakes . Idk works for me
Same here. Years ago I found a closer grab point reduced arm pump.
I run Shimano brakes on all of my mtn bikes. XTR 2-piston on the Ryve. Saints on the MegaTower. XT 4-piston on the Chameleon. I've never felt a wandering grab point.

Top Bottom