Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Manufacturer: Hope Technology Inc.
Product: Mono Mini
How Long Used: 1 Season
Similar Products Used: Magura Julie Hydrolic Disc
Overall Rating [1-10]: 6

Positive: Great looking and extremely well built. You can shorten the lines without bleeding the brakes. Lever has a confident feel to it. Great cross country brake!

Negative: Can't handle any more then a moderate downhill. Pads they ship with are VERY loud. They don't pack enough punch to keep up with the hills of Northern Jersey IMO.

Comments: I will be trying different pads next season and if I'm still not happy, I will be changing calipers to Mono M4s.

Attachments

• mono_mini_caliper_disc_1.jpg
    mono_mini_caliper_disc_1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Miini_lever.jpg
    Miini_lever.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

TonyC

Jason,
Do you still think the Hope minis are just average? I need to purchase a new set of Disk brakes and those are on the top of the list. $$ weight. What brakes did you switch to?

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I still have the minis but am very happy with the overall quality. They are very loud but I am told that new pads will totally solve that problem.

I am thinking of switching to the Hope Mono M4s vs. the minis.

-jay

Last edited:

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
nice write up jason... i've heard good things from them from other riders. i think that they are a bit lighter than the hayes, which is another plus.

P

Phatbiker

I have had no problems with my mono minis on long downhills..i have them on my six pack and racer x.

phat

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I have Minis on my RacerX and have been pretty happy with them.

One thing which distinguishs Hope from some of the others, IMO, is the quality of the materials and construction. They are all milled aluminum, no flimsy plastic pieces that seem like they could break at any moment.

I've had the same issues with pad noise as others on here.

I'm using their hubs as well.

D

DANSPANK

I have 6" XTRs (XT rotors) on my stumpy and they're great - really good anchors. But when they get wet they tend to squeak/moan until they've thoroughly dried out...

scalpel6

I had the Hope Monos on my first bike and they were solid. Never had an issue. As Chris G mentioned they are well made and add that bling factor to your ride.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I have Minis on my RacerX and have been pretty happy with them.

One thing which distinguishs Hope from some of the others, IMO, is the quality of the materials and construction. They are all milled aluminum, no flimsy plastic pieces that seem like they could break at any moment.

I've had the same issues with pad noise as others on here.

I'm using their hubs as well.

My ears tell me that Chris's Hopes are loud as heck.

I am personally a Magura guy.

The use of Mineral oil instead of the toxic Dot 4 is enough for me.

j

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I've worked on many of these from my days at Planet Bike...I do know the earlier ones do squeal a bit, pads help, but it's more the caliper allowing the pad to move just enough to shimmey around...They've done improvements on that in later versions, the floating rotor also helps, and most important with Hopes is to make sure the tabs are faced, it makes a huge difference in the feel and performance...I've recently been converted to Avids just because of how easy they are to work on, after spending 8 hours a day wrenching on other people's bikes, I don't want to touch mine!!

-Jim.

Top Bottom