brake upgrade suggestions

Shimanos xt brakes can not be beat. They are awesome and it is not necessary to go with 200F/180R rotors. That is absolutely silly. Xt 160f/160r are as powerful if not more than anything out there. Unless your putting these one a dh fatbike u don't need 180s....

Yeah, those are some pretty big rotors, I run 200mm on my DH bike with elixirs, the 180mm on my all mountain bike are complete overkill on Juicy 5's, and I weigh 195lbs and ride my bike like a stole it.

Just throwing my $0.02, any chance you have some oil on your pads/rotors? Need a bleed? Those brakes are pretty bombproof.

If you feel like adding bling, that is a different story.

climbing up the rocky trails with leaves esp. wet seems almost impossible, am I the only one walking my bike up them? thinking of bringing my blower out them to clear some trails...

For riding leaves don't forget about good tires. Certain fast rolling tires make leaves tougher than they need to be.

You may want to get used to the bike getting a little "sideways". It comes with time. As for tires, I am loving the Continental Trail Kings in the Black Chili compound, tubeless of course.

climbing up the rocky trails with leaves esp. wet seems almost impossible, am I the only one walking my bike up them? thinking of bringing my blower out them to clear some trails...

try riding in a higher gear than normal - lower cadence, less spin out.
you'll work harder, but have a better chance of staying connected.

put a BB7 with a 200 rotors on the front wheel last night, skeptical it would be much better and was already moving the Juicy7s off another bike

road at Chimney Rock after work today and the difference in braking power was significant, though it began chirping mid way into the ride, to a point where I thought an owl was following me

I'll be looking for larger rotors for the rear and real mounts for the larger rotors (I had additional spacers to extend from 160 to 200). thanks all for your help here

don't feel like you need to get anything bigger than 160 rotors, nothing too intense here.

I've got a front Deore m596 hydraulic disc. Pretty brand spankin new. PM me if you're interested

FYI, no stopping power difference between the SLX & XT brakes. Only real difference is the one adjustment on the lever and a screw instead of pin on the caliper pad retention.

Put SLX's on my old 26" bike that had 160/160 Juicy's. Really like the way they modulate and stop. Definitely not Off/On which is nice.

Took out my hardtail the other day with 180/160 Juicy brakes and hated it so much I ordered another set of $100 SLX brakes for that bike.

They're super easy to bleed which is really nice. The sets from England come with the brake bleed block and usually an extra olive/insert to shorten the lines. And moto style so you'd have to spend 30 seconds swapping the lines...

This. ^

My XT's came with backwards cables as well. Can't complain because of the pair price. Had a shop do the work at the time, but I hear it's a simple swap and don't even have to bleed them again if you're careful.

Haven't used SLX's yet but will probably be getting them for my hardtail.

where did your get the SLX for $100?

FYI, no stopping power difference between the SLX & XT brakes. Only real difference is the one adjustment on the lever and a screw instead of pin on the caliper pad retention.

Put SLX's on my old 26" bike that had 160/160 Juicy's. Really like the way they modulate and stop. Definitely not Off/On which is nice.

Took out my hardtail the other day with 180/160 Juicy brakes and hated it so much I ordered another set of $100 SLX brakes for that bike.

They're super easy to bleed which is really nice. The sets from England come with the brake bleed block and usually an extra olive/insert to shorten the lines. And moto style so you'd have to spend 30 seconds swapping the lines...

where did your get the SLX for $100?

One set recently on sale at Ribble, earlier set on sale at Wiggle.

I have no idea why those are names of actual companies. If they were Australian I'd understand, but not British.

-Steve

thanks Steve,
Just picked up a pair from Ribble for $150 delivered with adapters and 180 rotors, now for some lighter wheels

Suggestions on wheels under $500? 26er

I have no idea why those are names of actual companies. If they were Australian I'd understand, but not British.

-Steve

holy crap the brakes finally arrived yesterday, after almost 5 weeks
glad I wasn't in a rush for them, packaging was really rough with loads of packing tape
likely stuck in customs and surprised it appears to be undamaged

also picked up a set of Stans Olympics w/tires for $90
got some wrenching to do tomorrow for a Sunday ride

I just started volunteering some nights and weekends at the Plainfield boys/girls club fixing bikes so may take this along for some extra hands if needed

Did you order from Merlin? Lol. I got a fork and a bunch of stuff for them last April. All the separate boxes were assembled into what appeared to be a Transformer, wrapped in a roll of SRAM tape. Had tags from anywhere from Amsterdam to Dubai before getting to NY.

-Steve

Did it take more than 10 days to get merchandise from the UK?

Did you order from Merlin? Lol. I got a fork and a bunch of stuff for them last April. All the separate boxes were assembled into what appeared to be a Transformer, wrapped in a roll of SRAM tape. Had tags from anywhere from Amsterdam to Dubai before getting to NY.

When buying from companies in the UK, did you have to pay any duty or taxes when the merch came into the USA?

When buying from companies in the UK, did you have to pay any duty or taxes when the merch came into the USA?

Nope. If it's anything like bringing goods from Europe into the US on a plane, I think you have up to a certain dollar amount 'duty free'. Not sure how it all works, but no, I paid no tax. On the other hand, out of country retailers normally state that import duties may apply and are to be paid by the customer. Not sure what this all means, but I guess it hasn't applied to me yet.

To answer your other question, I got my package 9-10 days after placing the order on a weekend.

Nope. If it's anything like bringing goods from Europe into the US on a plane, I think you have up to a certain dollar amount 'duty free'. Not sure how it all works, but no, I paid no tax. On the other hand, out of country retailers normally state that import duties may apply and are to be paid by the customer. Not sure what this all means, but I guess it hasn't applied to me yet.

To answer your other question, I got my package 9-10 days after placing the order on a weekend.

I'd expect a letter from who ever delivered it to you on vat dues. I use to import front clips when I was into cars and single and when ever I'd get something from UK I'd get a bill within a month on vat dues. But you may get away with it since it was not so much money.

That's what I'm thinking. That could also be why some people claim lower values on items they ship, which would just screw them over on insurance if an expensive package was lost in transit. A clip is pretty hard to hide its value, being in a container or pallets compared to some innocent 'bike parts'.

Back
Top Bottom