brake problem

warcricket

Like a Jerk
currently, i roll bb5's on my rockhopper, and I can't say I'm all that satisfied.

about a month ago my brakes started loosing power and after switching the discs off my old bike and putting them on the hopper the stopping power increased incredibly; however, over time the it seems that my brakes aren't happy with the discs again, and offer me no stopping power.

i could get new discs but that's just delaying the problem. could it be the pads?

ArmyOfNone

Check the pads. If there still is life use some rubbing alcohol to clean the pads and rotors. Be sure that your brakes are set up correctly.

I personally do not care for the bb5. I think they are crap. But they will and should stop you.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Are they adjusted correctly? Remember, the pad adjustments on mechanical disk brakes need tweaking as they wear...

Engignar

What about the cables? If the cables are gunked up it will increase the amount of force you need to put into the lever to get stopping performance equivalent to a system with clean cables.

BiknBen

over time the it seems that my brakes aren't happy with the discs again, and offer me no stopping power.

I have these brakes. I've had to replace the pads numerous times. Upon doing so braking power was restored. In at least one case, I may have gotten some over-spray on the rotor (chain lube). Now, I am more careful.

These are budget brakes but they are decent for the price. Cables, housing, and pads wear so periodic adjustment is required. The Red knob on the caliper and the barrel adjusters at the caliper and brake levers should allow for this.

Top Bottom