Brake pads - resin or metal?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
metallic pads handle heat better and last longer, at the cost of eating up rotors and less initial (cold) bite and some noise

resin pads are relatively quiet, wear a bit faster (but dont destroy the rotor as quickly) and bite right off the bat, but fade as they heat up.

most guys doing xc riding will run resin and downhill/enduro types with lots of high speed/steep downhill will use metallic. what type of riding do you do?

02camaro

metallic pads handle heat better and last longer, at the cost of eating up rotors and less initial (cold) bite and some noise

resin pads are relatively quiet, wear a bit faster (but dont destroy the rotor as quickly) and bite right off the bat, but fade as they heat up.

most guys doing xc riding will run resin and downhill/enduro types with lots of high speed/steep downhill will use metallic. what type of riding do you do?
this the the response i wanted to give but didnt feel like typing. i only use metallic pads and they dont instantly kill rotors, you will still get thousands of miles before they are close to being min thickness. my last set i got 2500miles on hope rotors with metallic pads beating the life out of them at the park.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
this the the response i wanted to give but didnt feel like typing. i only use metallic pads and they dont instantly kill rotors, you will still get thousands of miles before they are close to being min thickness. my last set i got 2500miles on hope rotors with metallic pads beating the life out of them at the park.

thanks for the agreement, also, i never said it was instant, but for comparison running resin pads i have close to 3k miles on my bike and am not even close to min thickness on rotors yet.

02camaro

thanks for the agreement, also, i never said it was instant, but for comparison running resin pads i have close to 3k miles on my bike and am not even close to min thickness on rotors yet.
I know you didn't say it but the majority of the people make it seem metallic pads can kill rotors in a day. Not true. You can run metallic pads on "resin" rotors and still get decent life out of them.

But really, you broke it down perfectly for pad choice based on riding style and the pro/cons of each.

FastFreddy

Run one resin, one metal in each caliper and its the best of both worlds problem solved! 🤣 But seriously more metal is always good 🤘🤘

Dave02

compounds_disc_wm_3.jpg

Dave02

Above from Discobrakes. Somewhere they have an expanded chart under wet conditions. I really like their copper free pads.

02camaro

Run one resin, one metal in each caliper and its the best of both worlds problem solved! 🤣 But seriously more metal is always good 🤘🤘
I've done that after seeing some pros do it when watching bike checks on pink bike. It felt good but I couldn't live with pads wearing at different rates.

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
you're supposed to replace rotors? 😂

Andypowerful

I went with metal. I believe I had resin and got about 800 miles out of them. I ride mostly enduro type trails with some steep ups and downs. I think the metal will be good. I don't care about noise. I'd rather stop in wet conditions. Thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom