Brake levers too firm...

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Brakes are SRAM Level TL.

Last night I replaced worn brake pads, both front and rear.

Initially, I just swapped out the pads and tried to put the wheel back on. They were too close together, so I removed the pads and pushed the pistons back out with a tire lever. Reinstalled the pads and put the wheels back on.

There’s a little pad rub on the rotors, which I’m not as concerned about, however, now I barely pull on the levers before the pads fully engage.

I’ve replaced the pads before, and pushed the pistons back out with no problems in the past.

I do not have a bleed kit.
I will not light it on fire.
I am not buying a new bike (yet).

What went wrong?
How do I fix it?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not saying it's exactly what you have...

But I've had this happen when I did a quick bleed with old pads in and not using a bleed block. So there was a little extra fluid in the lines. Putting in new brake pads and pushing the pistons in a bit lead to an overfilled system.

I just cracked the bleeder on the lever (bike tilted so bleed screw was fully vertical), excess came out (couple drops), re-tightened the bleeder, no issues after.

RobW

Who cares about your no Fire, new bike Policy... but fire and new bike will /thread ;)

jackx

Wondering if your brakes have a contact adjustment that needs to be reduced to accommodate new pads, but perhaps not since you might have already considered that.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wondering if your brakes have a contact adjustment that needs to be reduced to accommodate new pads, but perhaps not since you might have already considered that.
Don’t think so. Will double check.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
im also thinking its the bleed with worn pads scenario discussed above, @MadisonDan are those bleeding edge brakes? if so i have the bleed kit and you can swing by ill try a quick bleed on em if you want, LMK

Top Bottom