brake disc swip-swap questions

CrankAddictRich

So... I have two bikes now that allow me to swap wheels... a Specialized Fuse 6Fattie and an Enduro Comp 29'er. Both bikes allow the option to run either tire/wheel size, but I've got some questions about swapping around.

Currently the Enduro has SRAM Guide R's with 200mm F and 180mmR. It has an NX/GX drivetrain with 11 speed 10-42 cassette. The Fuse is set up with XT M8000 brakes and drivetrain.. 180mm F and 160mm R... XT cassette 11-42.

Assuming I convert the Fuse to 200/180mm brake rotors and get the correct rotor mount adapters would swapping the wheels be that simple? Will the different brake system calipers play nice with the different brand rotors? Will the different cassettes work with the different drivetrains?

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
So... I have two bikes now that allow me to swap wheels... a Specialized Fuse 6Fattie and an Enduro Comp 29'er. Both bikes allow the option to run either tire/wheel size, but I've got some questions about swapping around.

Currently the Enduro has SRAM Guide R's with 200mm F and 180mmR. It has an NX/GX drivetrain with 11 speed 10-42 cassette. The Fuse is set up with XT M8000 brakes and drivetrain.. 180mm F and 160mm R... XT cassette 11-42.

Assuming I convert the Fuse to 200/180mm brake rotors and get the correct rotor mount adapters would swapping the wheels be that simple? Will the different brake system calipers play nice with the different brand rotors? Will the different cassettes work with the different drivetrains?

Thanks in advance.

the rotors may not center correctly in the caliper/pads.
quickly fix this with a caliper adjustment, or purchase shims for the rotors to get them in the same location.

Dajerseyrat

I swapped a 180/180 for a 203/203 with the correct spacers no issues. Just loosen the bolts holding the calipers, squeeze the brakes to center them on the rotor and re tighten the bolts.

Xler8

Just loosen the bolts holding the calipers, squeeze the brakes to center them on the rotor and re tighten the bolts.

Although this approach can give you results that may seem adaquate, it is the actual caliper that needs to be central to the rotor, not just the pads. If there is a pad that is out further from the caliper when using this approach, then you’ll end up having uneven wear and/or a limp lever.

A better appraoach is to center the caliper w/o pads (I use feeler gauges) and then adjust the piston(s) so there is no rubbing on the rotor. I’m pretty sure this is the method Hope recommends to setup their brakes. I’ve been using this method for all my brake setups with good results. Takes a little more time, but find it well worth it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom