boyd carbon wheels?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't know anything about these, but if you're in the market for some carbon wheels, there are a few China carbon wheel threads on the road bike reviews. Seems after a brief search, you could get a similar wheelset for hundreds less....but they would come right from China.
Another option is buying the China rims and having a local shop lace them to some Hopes (or something similar). You could probably pull that off for less than 1100.
Update this thead when you decide. I'm curious about this myself.

PatrickBrown

I don't know anything about these, but if you're in the market for some carbon wheels, there are a few China carbon wheel threads on the road bike reviews. Seems after a brief search, you could get a similar wheelset for hundreds less....but they would come right from China.
Another option is buying the China rims and having a local shop lace them to some Hopes (or something similar). You could probably pull that off for less than 1100.
Update this thead when you decide. I'm curious about this myself.

I hadn't thought of doing getting the hoops and having them built up. not a bad idea. I do like the idea of buying a completed built wheel, but I'm not really opposed to a locally hand built wheel either.

i'm really just looking at options for a new wheelset for now. Zipps or equivalent are expensive. is the extra 1500 bux justified?

P

Maurice

I'd be weary of China-made rims. I have broken/cracked a few (I weigh about 145#)... Hell, I've even broken an Easton rim, but that was in a crash and repairable. Breaking a rim "JRA" is no good though. Sometimes they provide crash replacement but I know no wheel manufacturer that replaces a cracked rim under warranty.

PatrickBrown

Maurice,

great point. especially since I'm considerably heavier than 145.

they do in fact offer a crash replacement for $250. which isn't all that bad.

roc

i'm really just looking at options for a new wheelset for now. Zipps or equivalent are expensive. is the extra 1500 bux justified?

Depends on your income!

PatrickBrown

Depends on your income!

maybe....

an extra 1500 wasted could cut into my sprinkles banana cupcakes budget

Chris(NJ)

I don't think its worth 1500 for clinchers. I assume you're looking to save weight? IMO, You're not going to get huge weight savings unless you go to a tubular set and you dont need that unless you're racing. What exactly are you trying to accomplish w/ the new wheelset?
Fwiw, I purchased my road wheels for about 500 and they've been great.

PatrickBrown

I don't think its worth 1500 for clinchers. I assume you're looking to save weight? IMO, You're not going to get huge weight savings unless you go to a tubular set and you dont need that unless you're racing. What exactly are you trying to accomplish w/ the new wheelset?
Fwiw, I purchased my road wheels for about 500 and they've been great.

I was really talking about 1500 being the difference between the boyds/williams price range compared to zipps or equivalent.

Chris(NJ)

I was really talking about 1500 being the difference between the boyds/williams price range compared to zipps or equivalent.

Oh. I see what you're saying. Well, I still don't think its worth the extra $$ lol.
I guess it's just my personal opinion that unless you'll be racing road, an expensive wheelset isn't necessary. Especially w/ the way the road conditions are around here.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
If a good carbon wheelset (like Zipp) is out of your budget, just get nice, higher end alloy wheels. Don't buy cheap wheels!! I honestly couldn't count how many broken asian-made budget wheelsets I've seen come through the shop. Don't waste your money. If you're really that pinched for cash you can pick up any number of used carbon wheelsets for under a grand. Hell, just in the past year I've sold both Zipp 404 PowerTaps, and Mavic Cosmic Carbone PowerTaps for under a grand...

You wouldn't buy a new Turbo for your GTI at Walmart would you?

-Jim.

MikeP

My friend was over visiting relatives in China this spring and bought a carbon road frame from the factory where Pinarella bikes are made. He paid an insanely low price. The backlog was pretty long. He just found out yeasterday that it was shipped. He's dubbed it "The China-rello". Can't wait to see the finished product.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
If a good carbon wheelset (like Zipp) is out of your budget, just get nice, higher end alloy wheels. Don't buy cheap wheels!! I honestly couldn't count how many broken asian-made budget wheelsets I've seen come through the shop. Don't waste your money. If you're really that pinched for cash you can pick up any number of used carbon wheelsets for under a grand. Hell, just in the past year I've sold both Zipp 404 PowerTaps, and Mavic Cosmic Carbone PowerTaps for under a grand...

You wouldn't buy a new Turbo for your GTI at Walmart would you?

-Jim.

Amen brother!

Top Bottom