Boxing Fans?

NickDavid

Anyone watching the Mayweather vs. Hatton fight on Sat night?

I'll be at Hooters in Wayne if anyone wants to come drink some crappy beer.

D

DANSPANK

There's a hooters in Wayne? I might be out but will be hitting Camelback during the day so we'll see if I'm not broken by the evening...

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I'm a big fight fan but I don't think much of Saturday's fight. Hatton's got a good story and a good head on his shoulders but has ZERO skills compared to Floyd (well, anyone does I guess). If Foyd shows up unlike his past few fights he should make him look quite silly. HBO's pushing it big to build up Hatton since Floyd's done with fighting soon, and Hatton is white and likable.

At least Jeff Lacey is fighting a shnook on the undercard -- good money's on a KO there.:D

Herberts in Secaucus usually has fights too.

NickDavid

Finally! Someone with some sense. Mayweather can't lose this.

BTW.. you're a "Lifetime" band fan? I've listened to those guys since I was a kid.

walter

Fourth Party
As opposed to MMA? (which is really cool, BTW)

About a year ago Sports Illustrated did an article comparing boxing to mma, the numbers, the money, the tickets, the injuries. They interviewed doctors that expressed that even though mma is is almost bare knuckle, the effects of hundreds of blows to the head a boxer takes is more damaging. MMa is more closely refereed, and sure you get the occasional broken arm or ankle, but in the long term things, MMA is safer.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
As opposed to MMA? (which is really cool, BTW)

I'm not proud to say I like MMA. UFC is for 8 yr olds and I'm 32 and can't stop watching it. Sometimes my wife will mention it to other adults and I'm embarassed. There's really none of the science and elegance there is in boxing but the guys running the sport are so much smarter than the boxing thugs. They make it entertaining and give fans the fights they want to see. Boxing drove itself into the ground decades ago with its idiot thug promoters and MMA is picking up the pieces.

And to back up Walter here, listen to Tommy Hearns, Meldrick Taylor or Riddick Bowe if you want to see the long-term effects of boxing. Meanwhile Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell and other veterans of MMA are A-OK in the head. Better to get hit ten times hard than 500 times with a padded glove I guess.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Finally! Someone with some sense. Mayweather can't lose this.

BTW.. you're a "Lifetime" band fan? I've listened to those guys since I was a kid.

Actually I didn't say Mayweather can't lose -- he's SHOULD win, easily. But I haven't seen him go for the gold since Gatti. He shows technical dominance but has no bloodlust, plays it too safe, like Hopkins. No wants to see that. Difference here is Hatton won't tire. He's got better conditioning than anyone on Earth. Still shouldn't win the fight for him, but it'll keep him around long enough for an opening.

And yeah I love Liftetime -- Bastards and Dancers are amazing albums. Got to speak to Ari once and I was just reciting lyrics and telling him how great they were. Like talking to an idol.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Anyone that wants to watch all 4 episodes of Mayweather Hatton 24/7, I've embeded the videos into my website.

http://nickdavid.com/blog/?p=241#more-241

I watched one of the episodes for the first time last night. watchable though not as good as de la hoya-mayweather-mayweather 24/7. hatton is a great guy though realistically not a star, never will be really. He's got to be the most fit man on the planet though, excluding Julien Absalon of course. Interersting to see how hyped this fight is when it's realistically the worst PPV matchup of the year. HBO can make blue look green if they put enough money behind it.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Anyone else watch the fight? I wasn't planning on it but...

SPOILER WARNING (for those waiting til Saturday to see it free on regular HBO.) What, no one else does that?

...sure enough it wasn't close (regardless of the judge's cards were at the time), but the wife and I made the mistake of watching a couple of the 24/7 episodes Saturday afternoon and she goes, "Oh let's just get it," so we had a couple friends over and chilled. Big dissapointment with Jeff Lacey in the last undercard. What a waste of strength if you can't KO some reality show schlep.

Anyway, Hatton actually did much better than I thought he would and landed a couple nice shots though never hurting Floyd at all. Good for him to show up well, and I guess I can say that even though I was rooting for Ricky, I'm actually happy to see a KO since few PPV fights bring that anymore.

Oh, I had it 88-83 Floyd when it ended. All 10-9 or 9-10 except the 10-8 round when Hatton was penalized for hitting in the back of the head (bullshit by the way).

T

tlnj

Mabe you should take over for Hal Lederman. Did you see his card? He had the match dead even around round 6. maybe he's playing the role of an HBO spinmeister, trying to convince us that we got our money's worth.

Anyone else watch the fight? I wasn't planning on it but...

SPOILER WARNING (for those waiting til Saturday to see it free on regular HBO.) What, no one else does that?

...sure enough it wasn't close (regardless of the judge's cards were at the time), but the wife and I made the mistake of watching a couple of the 24/7 episodes Saturday afternoon and she goes, "Oh let's just get it," so we had a couple friends over and chilled. Big dissapointment with Jeff Lacey in the last undercard. What a waste of strength if you can't KO some reality show schlep.

Anyway, Hatton actually did much better than I thought he would and landed a couple nice shots though never hurting Floyd at all. Good for him to show up well, and I guess I can say that even though I was rooting for Ricky, I'm actually happy to see a KO since few PPV fights bring that anymore.

Oh, I had it 88-83 Floyd when it ended. All 10-9 or 9-10 except the 10-8 round when Hatton was penalized for hitting in the back of the head (bullshit by the way).

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Mabe you should take over for Hal Lederman. Did you see his card? He had the match dead even around round 6. maybe he's playing the role of an HBO spinmeister, trying to convince us that we got our money's worth.

If you said Lampley I'd say yeah, but Lederman is a pretty straight-up guy. Truth is so many of those rounds could go either way and some judges reward agressiveness more than others, so I could see them sending several rounds to Hatton where I sided with Floyd's precision. "Ring Generalship" is a fairly broad term.

Let's ride Saturday morning.

Top Bottom