Bottom Bracket sizing question.

mtnbiker7

I'm looking at buying a new crankset for my dj bike but don't know what size I need. Basically what I'm trying to figure out is how to know the size BB. Here is what I pulled off the old bottom Bracket.

BB-TY30
Shimano
Bc 1.37 x 24(or 137 x x 24 not sure)
VA 68 EC

mtnbiker7

I'm going from a square taper to an octalink. Does that matter? Does it matter if I get a bigger bottom bracket then 122 (now 122mm 68mm)? I still need the 68 mm but go up to a 126 possibly.

goodvibe

the 68 refers to the bottom bracket shell length. the 122 refers to the spindle length. A lot of the newer bottom brackets include spacers to make it fit both 68mm and 73mm shells. This bottom bracket comes in four sizes:
68x115
68x122.5
68x127.5
73x127.5
I am assuming that you have a new crank that is compatible with the Octalink bottom bracket. The octalink bottom bracket will not be compatible with the square taper crank.

mtnbiker7

the 68 refers to the bottom bracket shell length. the 122 refers to the spindle length. A lot of the newer bottom brackets include spacers to make it fit both 68mm and 73mm shells. This bottom bracket comes in four sizes:
68x115
68x122.5
68x127.5
73x127.5
I am assuming that you have a new crank that is compatible with the Octalink bottom bracket. The octalink bottom bracket will not be compatible with the square taper crank.

I'm getting a new deore single speed crank with a new bottom bracket but what I'm asking is if I need the new bottom bracket to have the same spindle length? Would 4mm's bigger or smaller be ok for the spindle lenght?

Top Bottom