Book of Paul H

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Got it. So the bottom line seems to be demo and see which fits best with my "style".

Or just say screw it and buy a fatbike to have something totally different.

will lend you my fatbike. 27lbs.....do not recommend bombing pipeline, but it eats up the rocks on the way up
the left side of the sourlands...

rick81721

Lothar
I am thinking your horsethief can cover most trails in NJ
Fatbike might not be a bad idea... you can ride it on the beach down in FL.

It can. That was the genesis of this search - the horsethief is too much bike for FL - wanted something faster for trails without big rocks.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
It can. That was the genesis of this search - the horsethief is too much bike for FL - wanted something faster for trails without big rocks.
Me too. That was my reasoning for the RDO... plus I just couldn't go cold turkey on McDonalds

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
@jimvreeland Cant speak for others but as far as I am concerned, your words on anything bike related is gold. But I am a bit confused on the weight thing.
As you may know... I am a total ignoramus when it comes to things of this nature but all I have heard is that cycling is mostly about weight to power ratio. In my case, I can totally understand that the RDO might have been better suited for Nassau than my Hightower which would explain the PR's. I don't do the power meter or have any hard data or statistics but just based on feel, I do know that I fatigue faster on the Hightower and my assumption was it was due to weight. Given the same bike geo but with lighter weight components and materials, wouldn't the lighter bike be faster?

EDIT: BTW... if you tell me to go read a book... I am going to flip! :p

Last edited:

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Ha. True. But I know there's no point worrying about bike weight when there's so much on my body I can shed for free first. That and building up the muscles and skills to crush shit.
I know bigger guys than me who can crush it... then I know smaller guys who can crush it too. I guess I just suck. :(

BPaze

I know bigger guys than me who can crush it... then I know smaller guys who can crush it too. I guess I just suck. :(
If you're looking for someone that will say it's ok you don't suck, well that isn't me LOL

I also don't claim to be any better, but I do have fun riding.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
It's a hobby. You seem to have fun. So unless you're trying to enter the race world, don't worry so much.
If you're looking for someone that will say it's ok you don't suck, well that isn't me LOL

I also don't claim to be any better, but I do have fun riding.
FYI... I am ok that I suck. As said... I have fun on the trails and that's all that matters.
So... you guys wanna have a 2 min race? :p

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
@jimvreeland Cant speak for others but as far as I am concerned, your words on anything bike related is gold. But I am a bit confused on the weight thing.
As you may know... I am a total ignoramus when it comes to things of this nature but all I have heard is that cycling is mostly about weight to power ratio. In my case, I can totally understand that the RDO might have been better suited for Nassau than my Hightower which would explain the PR's. I don't do the power meter or have any hard data or statistics but just based on feel, I do know that I fatigue faster on the Hightower and my assumption was it was due to weight. Given the same bike geo but with lighter weight components and materials, wouldn't the lighter bike be faster?

EDIT: BTW... if you tell me to go read a book... I am going to flip! :p

You fatigue on the Hightower because of how inefficient it pedals vs the RDO. 2 completely different bikes. If you rode a 30+ pound hardtail it would ride faster than the Hightower at Nassau. Although at Chimney Rock that Hightower is going to be faster than the RDO all day. If you have a lightweight Hightower it would climb faster but you may have to expend more energy keeping it straight through rock gardens, it's a balance. And there's definitely a point of demising returns.

Top Bottom