Book of Paul H

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I may have misread so let's clarify, 928 miles and you have killed 2 chains (avg 465 miles each), if not then my bad
I think the 1st chain lasted little bit over 500
2nd was making a clicking noise on 1 gear... I think 46t the last couple of rides. Measured it today and sure enough... it was at .5
Little bit over 400 miles on the 2nd chain. But this one... been riding in pretty crappy conditions.

Last edited:

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think the 1st chain lasted little bit over 500
2nd was making a clicking noise on 1 gear... I think 46t the last couple of rides. Measured it today and sure enough... it was at .5
Little bit over 400 miles on the 2nd chain.

Needs more frequent lubrication, or a beetter lube. Unless your buying the cheap gx or nx chains, should be able to get ~1k miles out of the x01 or better chains.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Your doing something wrong (or not enough) I get more than that from a single chain
Yeah, lucky if you get 800 out of 11 or
12 speed chains, you can get away with 1000 on the first one with a new cassette but after that 700-800 or you will trash the cassette.
I am suspect to that article as it has not applied to me at all in real life. I take good care of my drive train and large range mtb gears simply eat chains. I thought people were joking when they talked about it but found it to be true.
Add in the forever must be adjust sram drivetrains and it makes sram stuff even harder to believe.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
my sram eagle (gx derailleur and cassettes) stuff has been good ~1k miles on a chain (no cassette replacements yet) and minimal cable tension adjustments, replaced only my second cable even on it This year, that 3600+ miles, don't even need to adjuddt it when switching wheels.

Even my hwrdtail which sees a lot of sj miles in the sand holds up nearly as well (except for the nx chain that came with it), not sure how you measure your chain but such drastically different experiences mean something in maintenance must be off and I'm not super meticulous about lubrication so......

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
cable tension

peasant says

63p0KXD.gif

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
my sram eagle (gx derailleur and cassettes) stuff has been good ~1k miles on a chain (no cassette replacements yet) and minimal cable tension adjustments, replaced only my second cable even on it This year, that 3600+ miles, don't even need to adjuddt it when switching wheels.

Even my hwrdtail which sees a lot of sj miles in the sand holds up nearly as well (except for the 2nd chain that came with it), not sure how you measure your chain but such drastically different experiences mean something in maintenance must be off and I'm not super meticulous about lubrication so......
What do you clean your chain with?
I am using the park tool chain cleaning gizmo with diluted simple green.

Top Bottom