Book of Paul H

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Just stripped the chainstay on the Defy which was the most damaged... At least I thought. But the bare AL looks pretty good.
20191113_221327.jpg

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Gotta make decisions now....
1. what color should the Defy be? Thinking black... only because I think I have red Giant decals somewhere.
2. gotta take the brifters off the Fredkenstein and throw it on the Defy which means Fredkenstein will revert back to a flat bar Talon. And I think I want the Talon to be a 2x.

jklett

Was that frame in the fire? Make sure the heat did not mess with the heat treatment (I can’t think of the name right now).
Annealed. I don't remember the exact temperature but I think it's somewhere around 700F for a few hours and then dropping down slowly over a few more hours for 6061.

Main point is that it's not going to be ridden except for on a trainer so if it bends, it's not like it's going to kill him.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Was that frame in the fire? Make sure the heat did not mess with the heat treatment (I can’t think of the name right now).
Yep.
What @jklett said. This is going to be a trainer bike. Going to put in like $15 for couple of rattle cans and etc and use old parts from my parts bin. Prolly wont even have brakes... or a front wheel for that matter.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Just clear coat it - Al-loo-min-eee-um!

it is just to protect it from sweat.
Not sure if I am going to do a complete strip. Some areas have more paint than others.
Plus... fork is carbon so.... negative on clear coat only. :p

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Zombie trainer... Thanks @serviceguy for the name!

Frame... as far as paint removal... this is going to be as good as it get. The AL was pretty soft. Wire brush made some deep scratches. Finished off with 100 grit sandpaper.
20191116_105131.jpg

Fork... I just wanted to take off the burnt clear coat and smooth things out and started with 100 grit and in the mist of working with 220 grit. Starting to see the carbon weave. Pretty cool! Not sure if you can see it here. Going to finish off with 400 grit.
20191116_105144.jpg

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
Zombie trainer... Thanks @serviceguy for the name!

Frame... as far as paint removal... this is going to be as good as it get. The AL was pretty soft. Wire brush made some deep scratches. Finished off with 100 grit sandpaper.
View attachment 110927

Fork... I just wanted to take off the burnt clear coat and smooth things out and started with 100 grit and in the mist of working with 220 grit. Starting to see the carbon weave. Pretty cool! Not sure if you can see it here. Going to finish off with 400 grit.
View attachment 110928

More importantly, who is the terrible tic tac toe player??

Top Bottom