Bontrager Jones ACX 29er

ellbiddy

These came stock on the superfly and I'm not sure if I should bother finding the valve and strip to make these tubeless I've had so-so results with bontrager tires on my bikes that have come stock before (Jones XR) which were OKAY on smooth dry stuffs, but when it got wet or worse yet the loose over hardpack-type-stuff it got sketchy. So...anyone ever use these? :p

THATmanMANNY

I have an idea

why don't you just ride your damn bike already!!!
And then write your own review :p

You're knocking on Vreeland's door now. :cool:

kush

Yes, you know I did. They suck. Don't bother. You'll also crash more if that is possible.

ellbiddy

I thought you went with ignitors off the bat, there's boundary to my ability to crash you should know that ;). I guess I'll just throw on some different tires. Leave those for the beater bike ;p

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
PSSSSSHHHHH!! You guys is crazy son!! The ACX's rock!! I think all you guys should spend less time worrying about tires and more time riding your bikes!! You'll find out that it don't matter what tires you ride, technique will overcome all:D

-Jim.

PS-Right now my secret tire combo is an XDX in the front and a Dry-X in the rear. Tubeless.

kush

I know what Jim preaches is probably mostly right, but ACX really felt squirly for me, myself and I. Ignitors were always a solid, if not a durable, performer for me. I have scwalbe's racing ralphs on order, see how that goes.

One good thing about ACXs - I'm able to inflate them tubeless with a handpump. Can't do that with ignitors.

Steve Vai

I know what Jim preaches is probably mostly right, but ACX really felt squirly for me, myself and I.

Nothing anybody says is more or less right than anyone else. I've seen people run some things I'm sure I would die using and doing just fine. That's one of the greatest things about this sport, the versatility to do whatever makes you feel good. Some people think riding a 6-inch Dually at 6-Mile is fun while others get their kicks on a rigid SS at Round Valley, to each his own. I just think about all the fads I've been through in all these years and realized none of it really matters in the grand scheme of things. Just ride:D

-Jim.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
..... I just think about all the fads I've been through in all these years.....

-Jim.

You mean like that whole 29er thing?

And as for the tires, I had them (I think) with my HIFI and i didnt care for them. I replaced them with Rampage 29er's and i felt like they were the same tire... ( i know i know.. it was me right?? Wrong) I replaced those rampages with Some 29 inch Panaracer (IRD) Fire XC Pros and I am LOVIN LIFE...

I think the ACX 29ers and Rampages would be better suited for summer when its dry and dusty out. They both 'Roll" better then the IRD's but neither come close to griping in the rain and mud like the Fire XC's....

Of course this is just my take on it

Last edited:

walter

Fourth Party
I think the ACX 29ers and Rampages would be better suited for summer when its dry and dusty out. They both 'Roll" better then the IRD's but neither come close to griping in the rain and mud like the Fire XC's....

Of course this is just my take on it

Rampage rolls better than a Fire XC, really?

Steve Vai

Time to wake up and smell the coffee son

I don't drink coffee, son. I have had more than my share of Kool-Aid though!!

Kool-AidMan.jpg

-Jim

ellbiddy

I'll give them a shot I guess, you know where you got the valve and junk for them Kush?

Edit: Preferably less than the trek store ;)

Last edited:

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Rampage rolls better than a Fire XC, really?

I find that very, very hard to believe. Rampages are some of the slowest rolling 29er tires I've ever ridden, but they're also some of the best for technical XC riding and they have grip for days.

The Jones ACX's, IMO, blow. I replaced them with Ignitors back in 2005, and in the instances where I've put them back on just to see if they were really as bad as I remembered them, every time they confirmed my previous judgement. I think now I may shave the knobs down on mine and make some lighter weight commuter tires out of them.

Ignitors are great. They're a bit heavy though, so be careful if you're looking for a race tire. Crossmarks make excellent race tires, btw. Incredibly fast rolling. I'm on some Ardents right now- not as grippy as the Rampages, but they roll quite a bit faster.

One tire you probably won't get much use of around here is the Exiwolf. Great tire for dry and dusty areas- sticks like glue to rocks and rolls fast despite being a heavier tire- but the smallest amount of mud clogs the entire tread and renders it useless.

I'm after some Specialized Borough XC's next, for commuting and even some light trails or short track racing.

But my opinion of the Jones ACX, contrary to Vreelands, is that they're not worth your time. Take it FWIW- we all have differing opinions, and there's no one right or wrong answer...

kush

I'll give them a shot I guess, you know where you got the valve and junk for them Kush?

Edit: Preferably less than the trek store ;)

You have a couple of options

1. Bonty strips, at the Trek / GF LBS they run $20 for 2 strips, plus $14 for 2 removable core valve stems. So $34 for the set. I'm running this, and it's just fine. I get mine at Buck's County Cycles.

2. Just as good are Stan's Notubes (www.notubes.com) strips with valve. Online they run $22.50 each including valves, or $45 plus S&H, not sure what they are at your LBS.

3. You could go ghetto with old tube strips, but that seems like a total PITA, you could search for "Ghetto tubeless" on mtbr.

In any scenario, you need to get Stan's sealant, which runs about $14-$22 depending which size you get.

Cheers

Last edited:
Top Bottom