Bonk at KVSP

Shaggz

A strong 7
So, I hit the trails yesterday after 2 weeks off the bike, and I am trying to figure out why I struggled so much. The main thing is I got very light headed and dizzy on the climb to needle. I actually quit my ride because I was nervous that I was going to pass out.

I can understand a little tightness and weakness in the legs because of the time off, but the dizziness has me baffled. Any ideas or suggestions?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Always need more info...

How long was your ride? What did you eat/drink before? What did you do before? What time did you ride? Are/were you sick at all? How much sleep recently? Did you get out there and go balls out?

Any and all info you can give helps.

heythorp

Funny thing about taking time off, sometimes you feel really good and sometimes you feel like shit.

The needle is a pretty good cardio test. Anytime you do that you might end up feeling dizzy. Especially since your body has not been used to it. Not getting enough oxegen to your head will make you feel dizzy. With that said though.

Did you have any other symptoms? If you are not feeling good while exercising you should go see a dr today. I know its rare for younger people to have serious heart problems, but there are too many people out there dropping at a young age. Better to get checked then ignore it.

But most llikey you were just sucking wind. :D

Shaggz

A strong 7
HT - The funny thing is that, (emabarassingly) it was on the gravel road. Since that ride with you and scott, I have been climbing (and clearing) the yellow trail exclusively up to the needle, but decided to take it easy and climb the road. I was riding with someone who I met there, but we certainly weren't hammering. No other symptoms, and the dizziness passed on a cool down ride back to the parking lot. I was recently at the doctor, and me ticker got the a'ok.

NZ - Started around 4:30, and were several miles into the ride. I had a late belly-bomb lunch (stromboli-type thing) about 75 mins. prior to riding and was only drinking water throughout the day, I've been sleeping well and have not been sick or under-the-weather. I would say it was a slow to average pace. Could the lunch cause such dizziness? Maybe I needed more warm up time?

I guess it was just sucking wind, but to be honest, I can't remember feeling that dizzy, even during the infamous father's day ride.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hmmm, curious. Agree with heythorpe that sometimes a layoff leaves you ready to go, sometimes not. Have you been losing weight lately? Were you dragging an anvil?

If you've just gone to the doc and checked out ok, that's good. If I were you I probably would have kept riding because I'm an idiot like that and I would have hoped to shake it off. If you're not worried, I'd give it a rest and get back out there soon and see how you feel. Could be warmup, dehydration beforehand, low blood sugar.

Shaggz

A strong 7
heythorp said:
Stomboli probably is not the Pro's choice for a pre ride meal.

I know, but I have a partner (not keith), who does not discriminate what goes past the lips.

Guys, thanks for the advice. Weight has been static, which is not a great thing, and I'm going back out tomorrow morning to see what happens.

Maurice

Another vote for the Stromboli. Although you would not have really bonked had you continued. It's just a terrible thing to digest.

Two weeks off the bike is too little for that kind of effect.

Maurice

Baccala

Me too!

I had a similar thing happen to me over the summer while riding Hawthorne Woods. I experienced stomach pain as well. Never happened before and hasn't happened since. I wrote it off to the heat, bad diet and lack of consistent riding.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Bacc - no stomach problems here. I think I'm going to say it was the stomboli. I tooled around the neighborhood last night and this morning with no-ill effect.

DD-

Are you taking any allergy meds?
I finally figured out that I get very light headed whenever I take a 12 or 24 hour allergy med.

DD-

Shaggz

A strong 7
Interesting you mention that, because I take zyrtec and flonase before i go to bed. I have been on the meds for sme time, and have never reacted before, but I did take the flonase that morning because of the seasonal allergies. I've tried it in the AM before rides since then, with no ill-effect. I'll be more cognicent of that on future rides.

BTW, DD were you at kvsp this weekend ridng a trek, with guy on a GF?

Top Bottom