Bolt Replacement

Shaggz

A strong 7
I noticed a layer of rust forming on the bolts that hold the chainring, headset, etc. I keep my bike in the garage, and didn't realize that there was that much of a moisture issue there to cause such a problem. That being said, I'd like to replace these bolts with Al or Ti. Is there a "standard" size for these bolts, or do i need to contact the manufaturers of the original parts to get the bolt size.
 
B

bdpeter

Guest
i'm not sure if they're standard for every bike.

Do you have one of these handy/dandy bolt sizing guides??



or like this?



you can probably find them at Home Depot or an auto parts store. Makes it really easy to determine bolt dimensions and thread pitch.

good luck
 

heythorp

New Member
smarencik said:
I noticed a layer of rust forming on the bolts that hold the chainring, headset, etc. I keep my bike in the garage, and didn't realize that there was that much of a moisture issue there to cause such a problem. That being said, I'd like to replace these bolts with Al or Ti. Is there a "standard" size for these bolts, or do i need to contact the manufaturers of the original parts to get the bolt size.

I just buy a new bike when that happens
 

heythorp

New Member
how do you have almost 700 posts steve? :eek:
more time pedaling less typing:D :D :D :p :p :p

sitting in what is my back yard(for another 12 hours) in the dark gettting attacked by misquitos, just so I can borrow someone elses wireless network. Had to get my fix of mtbnj before I disapear for a couple of days. No cable for the next few days.
 

Shaggz

A strong 7
heythorp said:
how do you have almost 700 posts steve? :eek:
more time pedaling less typing:D :D :D :p :p :p

sitting in what is my back yard(for another 12 hours) in the dark gettting attacked by misquitos, just so I can borrow someone elses wireless network. Had to get my fix of mtbnj before I disapear for a couple of days. No cable for the next few days.

220 ain't too shabby for someone who has only been posting since mid June!

i never get a word in edgewise at home, so this is as good of place as any! Congrats on the house sale, and maybe we'll see you Monday!
 

heythorp

New Member
smarencik said:
220 ain't too shabby for someone who has only been posting since mid June!

i never get a word in edgewise at home, so this is as good of place as any! Congrats on the house sale, and maybe we'll see you Monday!

Well at least you have a son ( i am correct right?), i know a bunch of guys where its 4 girls vs. one guy.

If i sit out in the new driveway I can grab some internet at the new house, actually about 3 different networks :) funny thing is I am on 4 acres. I am a bit surprised. one neighbor is kind of close but no one else is.
 

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
smarencik said:
<snip>i never get a word in edgewise at home, so this is as good of place as any!

completely understand this one...

heythorp said:
Well at least you have a son ( i am correct right?), i know a bunch of guys where its 4 girls vs. one guy.

If i sit out in the new driveway I can grab some internet at the new house, actually about 3 different networks :) funny thing is I am on 4 acres. I am a bit surprised. one neighbor is kind of close but no one else is.

...and this one. well, the four girls part (damn dog is a girl too!!).

btw, where are your new digs??

oh, steve, to answer your questions about the bolts...it should be surface rust and nothing more. i have the same stuff on my bolts, took it to the shop and they told me it's from sweating all over it. have the LBS track down some replacement bolts for you. for the time and energy it's going to take to match them (if you have a lot of rusted stuff) you're better off.

hopefully i'll see you all monday.
 

Shaggz

A strong 7
I want to do dark blue for the trance. lemme know if you are really going to order from them, and you can help me spec out the ones for mine, as well. how did it go last night?
 

heythorp

New Member
Stan LeCupp said:
Nice Epic heythorp!! That matt grey color is sweet!

i like it and I found an old bottle cage laying around the is the same color from the years of wear. I put a low rise bar on that bike and my thompson seat post and mavix enduro wheels will follow this afternoon.
 

heythorp

New Member
smarencik said:
new additions to the stable, ehh? Nice rigs. So when is that ss getting retired?

quite literally, They stay in the barn lol. the 2 SS are going to be used for training purposes. once/twice a week and through the winter so I dont kill the road bike. I even convinced Elle to turn her old road bike into a SS oh boy:rolleyes:
 

heythorp

New Member
smarencik said:
is that a fixed gear?

the wheel is reversible. SS with freewheel on one side and Fixed on the other. currently its set up with the freewheel. not sure if I will even try the fixed but its nice to know its there if I want to
 
Top