Bogner Death Loop Report

xc62701

It was overcast and very cool. I think we had 23 riders at the start. Which as the day grew longer the group grew smaller due to other priorities. We hit up every trail on the intended route. Even the dreaded Debacle through all the leaves. Each of us had our little spills and step offs but I think fun was had by all.

I was fighting a slipping seatpost which had to be adjusted 8 times and a wornout set of shoes with my right cleat releasing whenever it wanted to, and I still had a blast. I'm sure some of the group thought I was a little nuts riding all this junk on my carbon hardtail, but hey, I gotta break it in somehow! It really wasn't bad. It handled it well. I was happy just to get out and explore more of the park. If you haven't been there, you need to get to BLUE!!!

Thanks to Jamie for the tour and finding the brewery! It was all good stuff!!!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
big thanks to jamie for putting this ride together! what an incredible park. i will definitely be back. it had lot's of swooping fast, fun singletrack, lot's of rock gardens, and lot's of dropoffs, rollins of all sizes and session sections that were like a natural skatepark made of stone. my new favorite trail system.

i took more than my share of spills and tumbles, but thought it was really unnecessary of brett to add insult to injury by pushing me off a ledge and then throwing rocks at me. that was just cruel dude. :D one of my tumbles was caused by my front tire(tubed) rolling right off the rim around a mild turn on smooth singletrack. first time it's ever happened to me. it's like hitting a patch of ice. i was just instantly on the ground wondering what the hell just happened. it was really good to meet everyone whose names i've surely already forgotten, and good to ride with those i already knew. jim pulled off a couple of pretty impressive dropoffs. i discovered that i apparently suck at taking action shots in the woods.

gps followed by a few photos. i didn't bust the camera out that much, as i was too busy having a blast riding everything.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValue=4354825

unknown rolling in.
1848346222_45650880b3.jpg

jdg's multitool brake lever trail fix.
1848492830_8c3aa0c4e6.jpg

ryan and i think allistair behind him.
1847538097_4e17a50789.jpg

jim rolling in.
1847538943_4cd905a3b9.jpg

the final group. if anyone wants a higher res image of this i can email it to them.
1847539817_359b56c091.jpg

Last edited:

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Nice guys! Sounds like you had fun. That place sure is awesome!

I wish I could have made it for at least a few hours. I actually got up at 5:30 to go, but ended up staying home. I think it was for the best, as Art had a bad day in the hospital, and I was glad to have been there to cheer him up.

xc62701

Is he alright? Give him my best. I was thinking of you guys as we were falling off the rocks.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
ellen, give art my best for a speedy recovery! hopefully i can make it to his first official ride back.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Thanks guys. hopefully it will sooner than later. In the mean time get out there and ride for us both. :getsome:

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Damn, that was fun. Thanks for planting the seed that became that ride- it's something I've thought about before but never bothered to work out details on, but definitely worth the sore muscles tomorrow. ;)

Nice to meet everyone and put faces to names. Thanks to JimG and Sean for subtly shaming me/us into doing Debacle- it was hard to see at the start, but got much easier to follow further in, and the ride just wouldn't have been the same without it!

Nearly 5000 feet of climbing today. Ouch. We all definitely earned the free beer afterward. Nothing caps off a ride like free good local microbrew. ;)

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i think debacle might have been my favorite trail of the day. no wait, maybe sis was. errr, mft? nevermind. they all ruled.

J

jimg

Blue Mtn

Jamie,
Big thanks for a great day. Good decision for Debacle. The trails, the weather
and most of all,the group made for a perfect day. Nice meeting everyone.
Sean thanks for the encouragement and Stoked thanks for the ride after.
Wish I could have stayed for beers,but had other commitments.
Can't wait to make it up again.
JimG

Not So Fast

Casualty Of The Death Loop

I was a casualty of the Death Loop. As usual I brought up the rear of the march. I didnt worry about being dropped because there were 3 of us back there and a sherpa to keep us on track. About 3/4 through the Monster, I slipped on a off cantered boulder and face planted. The crash resulted in a gash just above my right eye socket. Some first aid at the parking lot cleaned up the wound. A trip to the ER resulted in 5 stitches. I'm good now ready to roll again. SADDLE UP.

This was great time. As I reflect on the experience, a couple of other things stand out. Is my hearing failing? I kept asking folks to repeat themselves. Hey I'm a transplanted New Yorker from the South Bronx and have had my share of "where you from" when I speak; know wha I'm talkin bout bro? But I really had to concentrate and listen, then process what was being said. Those were not New York or Jersey accents in those mountains.:D

At the risk of being mushy, I'm gald to be a part of this great MTB community. JBog thanks for organizing. Emily thanks for the company. John (I think) thanks for being the trailing sherpa. Jim thanks for the first aid.

Last edited:

xc62701

Hmmm...lets see. I think my favorite trail was My favorite trail! Or maybe sis and upper sis! Or debacle...shucks, all of em!!! When are we doing this again???

Top Bottom