body armour

littlev21

Wondering what you guys like. I'm looking for something for technical singletrack, not Mt Creek type stuff. I'm guessing a set of shin/knee protectors and a set of forearm / elbow. I'm thinking lighter (without the exterior armor I see on some offerings). I need to be better configured so emergency room visit probability is minimized, especially in times of solo rides. With your suggestions, sizing comments would also be appreciated. LBS preferred in morris county. Thanks!!!!

The knee pads I wear probably lean more towards mtn. creek kind of stuff, but I use them for everything and find them comfortable. They are the Race Face Ambush D30. I think they might even be DH rated.

Not going to lie, they are bulky, but they are still comfortable and don't bother me pedaling. One thing I really like is you don't have to slide into them. You can put them on or take them off without dealing with taking your shoes off. I also toss mine in the washing machine and so far no issues, though it probably isn't recommended. They take abuse, and most importantly, they work. They stay put when I go down and have good coverage.

Even if you go for something smaller, def check out the D30 technology. Its flexible when not stressed but solidifies on impact. I don't love my elbow pads so no recommendations there, but personally I'm inclined to go lighter on elbow pads vs knee pads. My knees get the worst of it when I go down.

Take my input with a grain of salt though, I've always worn a full face helmet and pads on Motorcycles/dirt bikes so for me it feels normal to wear the same on a bicycle.

I’ve been wearing Leatt Airflex for the last 3 years, year round. I find them to strike a good balance between protection and ventilation, they’re also made from that polymer that stiffens. For Creek I have POCs, they’re too much for trail riding though.

I also discovered the Leatt Airflex pads several years ago, actually I'm on my second set. Got them after using some bulkier Fox pads for years. I was looking for more minimalistic, lighter, more breathable and easier to pedal in pads. The Leatt's seem to do the trick. I have both knee and elbow but usually only wear the knee pads. There are no velcro straps, only grippy elastic at the top and bottom to hold them up. The knees stay up pretty well and offer decent protection for most of the stuff I ride (Allamuchy, etc). They work well for falling over in slow speed crashes, probably wouldn't do so well with harder hits. I've thrown myself down on many rocks and they kept me from getting hurt. Don't love the elbow pads as much but they are not bad. They are very long (from top of bicep to lower forearm) and don't stay up on my arms as well. Gotta pull them up a bit once in a while. My old pads slid down as well, seems to be normal. I would consider both of them a very good choice.

Back
Top Bottom