Boating, Sailing, & Floating Devices

THATmanMANNY

I'm down to chance it given a nice price reduction ;)
Owner says she had neck surgery this year and hasn't put it in 2020
Pretty low hours for 2002, 180hrs but then they say you need to drive it more like a bmw to keep it in good shape Who knows!

Last edited:

alex_k

I paddle more than cycle these days. Surprisingly I became noticeable faster on bike since I started paddling.
97518091_10158528863344837_578812818128633856_o.jpg

Attachments

• HRBVtGaKrjQuRuZrJiiJNfQ9eqV9GWwfihs1Fr7wZe4-2048x1152.jpg
    HRBVtGaKrjQuRuZrJiiJNfQ9eqV9GWwfihs1Fr7wZe4-2048x1152.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 16
  • DqtzfJj60PPQ4tWB-c18SgyrKJrJ701HL6nUl30vix8-2048x1152.jpg
    DqtzfJj60PPQ4tWB-c18SgyrKJrJ701HL6nUl30vix8-2048x1152.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

THATmanMANNY

you guys know how to have fun!
used boat is also the way to go of course
I think the hardest part is people don't know hot o maintain them. It's not a car. It's under A LOT more stress.

WJF

It's only been 11 years and after a nice little lakehouse getaway I'm about to look at a boat this weekend. Unfortunately not sailboat yet.

July 4th
View attachment 133818
View attachment 133819

I'm a newbie and I'm looking at a boat that is out of water. Would anyone here have the experience to look at a small I/O Sea Ray with me on saturday morning?
Interested
View attachment 133820
View attachment 133821
I had a 19 foot Sea Ray BR, Mercruiser stern drive power requires keeping up on the maintenance.
These Sea Rays are not rough water boats for big water use, windy days on Barnegat Bay were not fun.
A hole in the water that money pours into. Happiest day was when I sold it.

- Engine hours?
- Was it used in salt water? Salt water use adds a bunch of issues
- Docked for the boating season in water or trailered?
- Fresh water cooled? Heat exchanger flushed regularly if used in salt water?
- With salt water use, exhaust manifolds need replacing after 5 years
- Stern drive trim/tilt functional? This can be troublesome in many ways
- Stern drive zinc anodes in good shape? They need replacing every year if in salt water
- Looks like an older model, was the transom seal bearing bellows kit replaced?
- Water pump impellers replaced (engine and stern drive)?
- Bottom paint chipping or flaking off?
- Gel coat finish, seat cushions and bumper trim (rub rail) condition? Will tell is it has been loved or abused
- Mooring canvas condition? Expensive to fix or replace
- Does it still have the Sea Ray canvas Bimini top?
- Trailer or winter cover included?
- Trailer bearings can also be troublesome if not sealed or greased

WJF

I had a 19 foot Sea Ray BR, Mercruiser stern drive power requires keeping up on the maintenance.
These Sea Rays are not rough water boats for big water use, windy days on Barnegat Bay were not fun.
A hole in the water that money pours into. Happiest day was when I sold it.

- Engine hours?
- Was it used in salt water? Salt water use adds a bunch of issues
- Docked for the boating season in water or trailered?
- Fresh water cooled? Heat exchanger flushed regularly if used in salt water?
- With salt water use, exhaust manifolds need replacing after 5 years
- Stern drive trim/tilt functional? This can be troublesome in many ways
- Stern drive zinc anodes in good shape? They need replacing every year if in salt water
- Looks like an older model, was the transom seal bearing bellows kit replaced?
- Water pump impellers replaced (engine and stern drive)?
- Bottom paint chipping or flaking off?
- Gel coat finish, seat cushions and bumper trim (rub rail) condition? Will tell is it has been loved or abused
- Mooring canvas condition? Expensive to fix or replace
- Does it still have the Sea Ray canvas Bimini top?
- Trailer or winter cover included?
- Trailer bearings can also be troublesome if not sealed or greased
[49AEFD29-7BC3-4592-9BDB-89BC40E9C7A2.jpeg
Still have a bigger hole in the water that money pours into....

rick81721

Lothar
Buying a floating thing with a motor is really no different than taking your cash and throwing it into the ocean.

Actually not true, at least if you buy new. We had our boat for about 4 years before it got totalled. With US Boat insurance, we got a check for the entire original purchase price. I think that only applies to new boats tho and for a certain number of years.

Reactions: don

WJF

Haha yes I actually am exploring these too.

@WJF excellent! Thank you. I’ve spoken to a couple surveyors (fancy name forboat inspectors) and likewise they’ve mentioned some of the items on your list.
Good luck.....
Looks like the motor has low hours, not sure how much HP, if it is a 3.0L and you are towing XL people on skies you may want to rethink.
My 190BR had a 5.0L, it had to work hard to pull me (6'1" 215lbs) out on one ski.
If fresh water use and a trailer queen, it may be in good shape.
Forgot to mention 10% E-fuel in the tank, ask if it was stabilized before long storage, if not and it separated (smells bad), about $7 per gallon to pump out and dispose

THATmanMANNY

Thanks for the tips. It’s a salt water only boat that was stored and covered outside during off season. First owner. Says lots of records. There was a similar year and style chaparral for more money that was a trailer queen but it lasted a day. I tried to jump on that but lasted a day.
D5537BD0-99F3-4713-AF76-CE4D03A2D475.jpeg

WJF

Thanks for the tips. It’s a salt water only boat that was stored and covered outside during off season. First owner. Says lots of records. There was a similar year and style chaparral for more money that was a trailer queen but it lasted a day. I tried to jump on that but lasted a day.
View attachment 133855

Salt water use and engine age concerns should play into your purchase price

Things to review and plan on spending additional money (parts and labor) for proper maintenance if they have not been done recently!!!
No heat exchanger so not fresh water cooled, salt water running thru the engine, very important items to check or take care off
Replace manifolds and risers (Starboard side manifold / riser gasket is leaking, rust and green color are signs of a leak)
Replace / install new transom seal bearing bellows kit
Replace all water pump impellers
Replace lower unit gear oil (should not look like chocolate milk, if yes, seals are bad, water got into the drive, may need a new lower unit)
Replace fuel/water separator filter
Check / clean lower unit water pickups
Check / replace zinc anodes (several)
Check engine oil (should not look like chocolate milk, if yes, exhaust manifolds are leaking water into the engine, you need a new engine)

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
As someone who spent 25+ years watching people get into often incomprehensible bad spots on the water I would just add to make safety equipment a top priority in your budget. A good radio and a backup/handheld, EPIRB, full "required" outfit (not expired/know how to use everything) and spares depending on where/when you will operate.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Grew up racing sailboats with my dad. Then college, kids, and other interests kicked in. Boarding, biking, paddling. Have rediscovered sailing recently. Fixed up an old Laser a few years ago (first pic). Selling it this weekend since I picked up a used Hobie (2nd pic) last month up in Vermont. Have sailed the Hobie more in a month than I did the Laser in 2 years. Too much damn fun!
F48D6FC5-9E14-45CA-965E-9B9512E0B12B.jpeg
2D3795EE-E763-4B11-A66E-5F4E975616C4.jpeg

Top Bottom