BMXing

scotth

A975FE95-B31E-47A8-B72C-6ED86064238A.jpeg

scotth

Starting Friday in Howell there’s racing under the lights until the end of the season. You can race mountain bikes in Novice and Cruiser. Cruiser is open so you’re racing anyone who shows up, grouped by age the best they can. Very fun and lots of families.

qclabrat

Starting Friday in Howell there’s racing under the lights until the end of the season. You can race mountain bikes in Novice and Cruiser. Cruiser is open so you’re racing anyone who shows up, grouped by age the best they can. Very fun and lots of families.
kids only?

scotth

kids only?
From 4 to 54 I’ve been seeing. Little tiny kids, clipped in, doing pretty serious gate starts, it’s awesome. There’s practices from Wednesday through Friday and racing Saturday and Sunday with practice before the race. The Friday night racing starts Friday in Howell. On race days, there’s practice before and after the race you can do without having to register for an actual race.

pkovo

I didn't realize the Howell track had lights.....THANKS for the tip!!

FYI Hunterdon still has Sat morning races and I believe Thursday evening practices are still going. I believe a license for one track works for the other since they are both USA BMX sanctioned.

I bought a license recently and have run practice a few times when I took my daughter and man it is a lot of fun! You can run any mountain bike. Last time I ran my 35lb. fatbike which was more fund than it sounds!

I'm surprised more mountain bike parents aren't getting in on the action. I have way more fun taking her to BMX than I do to soccer. Nothing against soccer, but just sayin.....

Mathers

Can you just show up on Thursday and practice? I would love to get my son to see this.

pkovo

That's essentially what we did at Hunterdon. We just showed up on a Saturday race morning. We both practiced and my daughter raced. They gave us a "one day license" for free to try it out. I think racing was $10 and practice was $5. Rates could vary for Howell as they have lights and such. Long pants and sleeves required, or shorts and short sleeves ok with knee/elbow pads. Helmet is required of course, and full face is a good idea, but I don't think full face is required. We both have full face helmets anyhow.

Unfortunately we joined up right before soccer season started so we haven't made a race since, but we did two Thursday evening practices and she did a beginner clinic which was cool. I bought us each licenses at $60/per the second time we went which are good for 1 year from date purchased. The season is long as it starts April/May weather depending so well worth it. Hell, kind of seems worth it even if we only go a few times.

The track is so smooth, the jumps are really nice, lots of good practice pumping. To me it seems like good MTB practice. I've never been to a mountain bike park, so I don't get a chance to jump "real" jumps often so it's worth it to me just for that. Granted jumping isn't the "fast" way around the track, but either is a steel fatbike.

If you take your kid I def recommend riding with him.

scotth

Hunterdon used to have a rule, "no front brakes allowed". Is this still a thing?!
Not sure about any rules like that anymore, could be. There used to be inspections, but no longer. The only rule someone said was no clipless pedals in novice. You can use any bike but flats only. Coming out of novice cruiser has to race cruiser and 20” stays with 20

chuprinko

Have fun! It's a great family affair down there.
Looks to be about the same age as when my son raced down there when he was young. I even picked up a cruiser and raced with the adults. Fun times. But that was years ago...

scotth

State finals on Sunday in Howell. There’s an old school bike show as well.
My oldest is wearing my jersey and using my number plate from when I was a kid, riding my bike too. Just realized it’s a 45/16 ratio on there now, I raced it when I was 16, he’s 12. I saw in a few places kids are running 40/16. I have some old redline chainrings, I think a 42 and 44, we’ll see what he wants to do.

Top Bottom