BMX parts selection?

MTBTyler

I love mountain biking but sadly cant go everyday. During the week I bmx to kill time. My Haro FIII weighs 28 lbs with 2 pegs. My goal is to lighten it up 2 or 3 pounds. The bike is 2 years old and very warn and very beaten up.
What I NEED is new tires and grips!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what parts I could replace to make it lighter?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I love mountain biking but sadly cant go everyday. During the week I bmx to kill time. My Haro FIII weighs 28 lbs with 2 pegs. My goal is to lighten it up 2 or 3 pounds. The bike is 2 years old and very warn and very beaten up.
What I NEED is new tires and grips!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what parts I could replace to make it lighter?

Since most LBS's don't have a good selection of BMX stuff, I would highly recommend Staff in lakewood (in the incline club). They have mail order, but if it isnt too far, go to the shop. You can get a decent complete bike for less than $500. Check this fit for $360 and light years ahead of your haro in every way.

http://www.staff-bmx.com/store/bikes/fit_9trl1_n.html

walter

Fourth Party
There is also a BMX shop in Sayreville about 2 blocks away from the skate/jump park. I ride past it 43.7 times a day but for the life of me cant think of the name.

walter

Fourth Party
Nation BMX in Sayreville.

I havent ridden a bmx since my bad ass Diamond Back Super Viper like 20 years ago, so I don't have a clue as to whats good and whats not. All I can say is that this shop has been open for a while and Sayreville has a HUGE skate/bmx community.

MTBTyler

Efingers is awesome with BMX the staff is very knowlagable when it come to BMX. Screw you! if you dont like efinger. Its just as good as any other shop ive been to exept halters!:D

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
we keep a good bit of bmx parts in stock. For tires, you could get an odyssey plyte combo or step up to odsy/fly/khe folding tires. The folding bmx tires are around $40 each though, so not really worth it. You could use the gsport plegs which are super light, if you dont do alot of cement grinding.

Let me know if you have any more ?'s. I've been bmxing for like 12 years and I keep up with new stuff pretty well.

walter

Fourth Party
Is there anything specifically you're looking for? Nation is like a minute from my house, I can stop in on Friday and look around for you

MTBTyler

What do you think? (click on them to read)

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    313.3 KB · Views: 139
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    332.4 KB · Views: 133
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    326.6 KB · Views: 142
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    302.9 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

warcricket

Like a Jerk
honestly, shaving the frame like that won't do much at all. As for the bars, it's personal preference. if you like em big, keep em. if not, cut em. grips also aren't really significant sources of weight.

MTBTyler

honestly, shaving the frame like that won't do much at all. As for the bars, it's personal preference. if you like em big, keep em. if not, cut em. grips also aren't really significant sources of weight.
Im definitely doing the 2nd pic. I plan to replace, petals (santas bringing them) grips, pegs, tires/tubes, and i want a carbon seat or just realy light.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Along the lines of what warcricket was saying, none of the stuff you pictured is going to save you much weight at all. I would ditched the gyro, unless you are riding flatland or doing triple tailwhips, you just don't need it. Just pick up a cheap mtb seat instead of dropping coin on a carbon seat, again minimal weight savings. YOu don't need a chunky seat unless you are doing barspin so any seat will do.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
You could also lighten up on clothing. For proper BMX you want to borrow your sisters shirts and belts, then slip into a really tight pair of jeans. This combination will ensure the lightest clothing possible - Oh, and comb your hair forward and dye it black, chicks dig that.

don

I would take off the gyro and grind the tabs down just so it looks better and cleaner (I hate gyro tabs). And taking down the front brake tabs would be fine too. You can also grind down any extra bits of axle sticking out past the nut. I do it on my rear wheel to save from any axle to ankle slips. Just be very careful with the grinding wheel - mark out first with a Sharpie then take off a little by a little.

Grips are fine and don't mess with that front axle washer - it looks like it might be a convertor from 14mm drops to 3/8" axle as well.

I'd go a pivotal seat/seatpost. There are a ton of them out there. Depending on what your current setup is you could save a bunch of weight there.

From the pics - the tires look like they could use an update. Folding are $$$ but will be light. Cheaper option - just go for normal wieght tubes and resonable weight tires and get a good tread to match what you ride most. Also spend a few bucks and get a good rim tape - I like Velox. The stock Haro rubber ones are probably pretty shot. Good tape will help with flats.

Like others have said Nation and Staff will have a great selection. If Effinger's is close tho go there - they looked to have a solid BMX selection when I was in there a few months ago.

Here is a good thread on 20" stuff: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202461

Also check out http://bikeguide.org/ and http://www.bmx-forum.com/

Show some pics when you are done with it.

MTBTyler

I plan to keep my gyro and rear brakes. I ride everything that I can find on the side of stelton rd. And about once a week ill hit the trails. Any sugestion on a tire?

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
I plan to keep my gyro and rear brakes. I ride everything that I can find on the side of stelton rd. And about once a week ill hit the trails. Any sugestion on a tire?

If you're looking for weight saves... make sure santa brings you plastic pedals (from Odyssey) and folding tires (from either Primo or Odyssey).

You could void the Haro warranty by sawing off the brake tabs on the fork. Know on wood, I've never seen a need for a warranty... but just something to keep in the back of your mind. :)

MTBTyler

If you're looking for weight saves... make sure santa brings you plastic pedals (from Odyssey) and folding tires (from either Primo or Odyssey).

You could void the Haro warranty by sawing off the brake tabs on the fork. Know on wood, I've never seen a need for a warranty... but just something to keep in the back of your mind. :)
Yeah I got the odyssey petals from you guys last week.

Top Bottom