BMX parts selection?

MTBTyler

I think im going to take my brakes off and gyro tabs.:cry:
maybe put just front??

Last edited:

warcricket

Like a Jerk
you'd be better off setting your rear brake a tighter, rather than taking it off and replacing it with only a front brake. with only a front brake you run the risk of frequent over the bar encounters. also, while doing manuals, some find it beneficial to feather the rear brake. there's a reason that no-one runs front brakes only.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
use a linear brake cable. They use derailleur housing so it is compressionless. You can do a barspin or whip and the brakes still work with the cable wrapped up. That's like $7 which will be the cheapest weight savings after you remove the gyro crap.

You can run a pivotal post/seat for $50-$60 and probably save at least a pound over what you have now. I use the macneil stump/sl seat combo and its nice.

MTBTyler

Skinny or fat tires? I was just looking at some tires and im not sure what to choose.

Last edited:

743power

Shop Keep
most guys use a 2.0+ in the front and a 1.8-2.0 in the back.

I run an odyssey dirt path plyte 2.1 in the front and a path plyte 1.8 in the back

MTBTyler

During winter break I was on 2 wheels full time. From the trails to the road to the skatepark. Mostly at the skatepark, and my haro is a tank and tires are shot. So im thinking about buying a new one. Not a haro this time. I was looking a the fit bikes and they seem to be what im looking for. I have about $550 to spend if I can try to sell some of the frames and parts in my garage. Any sugestions on bikes? :hmmm:

743power

Shop Keep
I would save up and look in the $600-$650 range. The upper end fit bikes are in that range and seem pretty decent. The eastern ace of spades and jane are around $650 and are really solid bikes, right around 25# and nice part selection.

lmckee

I just picked this up a few weeks ago from the shop that 743power works at (Bicycle-Pro in Bordentown). Coming off of my old s&m dirtbike and onto this was mind blowing. It is amazing how much better bmx bikes are now than they were back when I was riding a lot. It's an 09 Eastern Jane and as usual I can't leave well enough alone so it no longer resembles its stock counterpart and already has a bunch on fresh parts on it. I highly recommend this bike and this shop.

janedc0.jpg

Last edited:

743power

Shop Keep
much better. I would compare it to taking a box, and cutting one entire side off of it. It went from a rigid structure, to a floppy noodle.

743power

Shop Keep
What do you think of the tlr3?

seems like a pretty good bike. Fit is one of the "hottest" companies in bmx right now. if the frame geometry suits you, that bike would be a huge upgrade to the haro you mentioned before. Just don't buy it from Dan's.

MTBTyler

No way i would buy it from dans, Im the type who likes to support the locals. Do you guys deal with fit?

Top Bottom