BMX Discussion

Mathers

What’s a good beginner BMX bike for a 6 year old?
All the names I know are now junk and sold at Wal-Mart. ?

I Ride Bikes

It really doesn't matter at this point. Unless you're a street ape or want something super light, like closer to 20lbs, any complete bike will do the job. Completes have come a long way in the last 10 years.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
It really doesn't matter at this point. Unless you're a street ape or want something super light, like closer to 20lbs, any complete bike will do the job. Completes have come a long way in the last 10 years.
To be clear, bike stores completes have come a long way and are head and shoulders above Walmart / Target completes.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I grew up in a town with 2 pretty big spots. They were dozed years ago. Since then the woods are a ghost town. Dirt is definitely dying. The majority of kids today are way too lazy to put in the effort and they have no clue what no dig no ride means. That along with township officials closing spots down as soon as they pop up. Not to say there aren't plenty of trails still going good but you can see them getting picked off. I'll continue sweating my ass off and stacking dirt in the woods.
Yeah, idk, it comes and goes In waves, however it seems like we are over the hump and in the back side of a peak.

I Ride Bikes

To be clear, bike stores completes have come a long way and are head and shoulders above Walmart / Target completes.
Of course. I didn't say that because I thought it was obvious that you don't buy a bike from Walmart. I haven't bought a new bmx in 10 years but I do look around on Dan's comp just to see what's new. There's not much more they can really do to a bmx besides some Geo changes and trends. But I do notice that a $300 bike today would have cost about twice that much when I got mine.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Of course. I didn't say that because I thought it was obvious that you don't buy a bike from Walmart. I haven't bought a new bmx in 10 years but I do look around on Dan's comp just to see what's new. There's not much more they can really do to a bmx besides some Geo changes and trends. But I do notice that a $300 bike today would have cost about twice that much when I got mine.
Yeah, I peeped them when I had a resurgence in 2011/12. Fairly solid bike for $300 at that time and now.

nigelnyc

All depends on what you are willing to spend and the height and weight of your child. Most MINI bmx bikes are for up to 4'6 and 75 lbs. One step up is a JUNIOR which is for up to 4'10 and 110 lbs...just as a guideline. Most kids at the track I see riding either DK or REDLINE. I have attached two options to mull over.
https://www.jrbicycles.com/redline-2018-proline-mini-bike-gloss-blue-yellow

https://www.jrbicycles.com/dk-2019-swift-mini-bike-black

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I don't think so, but I'm not sure. I haven't been there since I got mostly hurt like 5-6 years ago. The one in Alexandria closed though.

The west milford family pump track is still very much going. Closed for the winter unfortunately but it'll be open again in april.

Top Bottom