Blue Mountain race course question

NJMX835

So what is the course like for Blue Mountain?

I've seen the course map, but have never been there & am curious as what kind terrain it is.

I've heard it's pretty tech, but is there alot of climbs, mostly singletrack or alot of fireroad, etc?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is this years course the same as last years? I didnt ride last year, but I have heard stories that last years course was a bitch and they were going to change it.

NJMX835

Tech & rocky is fine by fine, but I climb like a water buffalo, lol

I guess I'll find out when I get there, I've got a DH race at Mt Snow this weekend so I may not be able to pre-ride it until late next week, maybe not even until the day before the race, but I'm hoping to avoid doing that if possible.

Looking forward to finally riding Blue Mountain though, I was supposed to go ride there a handful of times, but it always seemed to fall through.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Tech & rocky is fine by fine, but I climb like a water buffalo, lol

I guess I'll find out when I get there, I've got a DH race at Mt Snow this weekend so I may not be able to pre-ride it until late next week, maybe not even until the day before the race, but I'm hoping to avoid doing that if possible.

Looking forward to finally riding Blue Mountain though, I was supposed to go ride there a handful of times, but it always seemed to fall through.

The climbs are short, techy and frequent. The place is more tech than pretty much anything i've seen in NJ, other than Sourlands. The rocks are big and embedded.

The place is really defined by its terrain. There are no real long climbs like at Allamuchy but going over those little steep hills while managing the tech will get you tired just as quickly.

I don't race, this is just from riding there a handful of times and knowing what the race course covers.

The place is almost entirely like the techy race course section of Ringwood only substitute the grueling switchbacks with large rock faces.

Last edited:

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Is this years course the same as last years? I didnt ride last year, but I have heard stories that last years course was a bitch and they were going to change it.

The course is not the same as last year's, it's similar to the course from 2006 with some additional tech.

Last year's course was awesome, but very, very, very, very technical. This year's course is still the most tech of the H2H courses, but it's a bit more balanced between flowy and techy.

It's a course that *definitely* benefits from a pre-ride. There are a number of spots where you can really save time if you know the lines or prepare to dismount before the features rather than getting bottled up on them.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There's close to 1600ft of climbing, in comparison Jungle Habitat had ~990ft, Ringwood had ~880ft.

wow, I guess Jungle has been the most climbing I have ever done on a mtn bike thus far. Nice knowing you guys, im a dead man :D

idbrian

Crotch Rot
That is wild that there is so much climbing there. The place is hilly but lots of climbing wouldn't be in my description of the place. The riding is just so damn entertaining. Probably seems easy on the climbing because of all the stopping and playing i do there.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You don't ride Mahlon Dickerson?

All the time, its a mile from my house. I would say I know it pretty well. I have even tried to climb the old ski hill a few times. Riden down it a bunch. Are the places similar?

idbrian

Crotch Rot
MD isn't similar to Blue, with exception to the terrain of the hiking only bear swamp trail. I was just wondering about MD because i've never ridden Jungle and you said it was the most climbing you have done, and i saw you are from Sparta. I would typically say that MD has a lot of climbing. So now i'm wondering what the Jungle must be like.

That is awesome you are a mile away from great riding. Put in 15 miles there Sunday.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The loop I normally do at mahlon (start at saffin pond, up the old railroad bed, right turn, take that to the white trail, down cascade, up the big hill at the end, to the parking lot, across the road, down the wall, through stone gate, and back to saffin pond) I never thought of as alot of climbing, but i dont have GPS or anything to track it.

Anyway, I thought ringwood had more climbing then jungle, so im obviously a poor judge.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
The loop I normally do at mahlon (start at saffin pond, up the old railroad bed, right turn, take that to the white trail, down cascade, up the big hill at the end, to the parking lot, across the road, down the wall, through stone gate, and back to saffin pond) I never thought of as alot of climbing, but i dont have GPS or anything to track it.

Anyway, I thought ringwood had more climbing then jungle, so im obviously a poor judge.

I do pretty much the opposite direction of what you do with a few more trails in between.

All this race climbing stuff must have to do with the course length. I have to do Blue again real soon.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am looking at Sunday morning... Probably 2 to 3 laps with lap #1 the discovery and #2 being fast, probably very fast in spots. Lap #3 to hit the fun stuff again.

Top Bottom