blue Knob: winter downhill

phathucker

Has anyone been to a a place called blue knob? or might be intristed in going? Its also called blue mountain. I think its about a 4 or 5 hour drive west into pennsylvania. Its not a bike park, but they put bikes in the back of a pickup and drive up the mountain then one guy drives down to pick everyone up. and bring them back up. Some of the trails look pretty awsome and it seems to be the only place you can downhill in the winter.

ive got a few weeks till my knee heals from the last day at diablo, but the idea i cant ride dh till may is lame.

-also if you know other places to dh in winter pass them along

My bad- I think I meant NY not PA

Last edited:

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Its not a bike park, but they put bikes in the back of a pickup and drive up the mountain then one guy drives down to pick everyone up. and bring them back up.
AKA Shuttling

Some of the trails look pretty awsome and it seems to be the only place you can downhill in the winter.
Not true - Skyline.

Fredrick, MD. But pack a lunch, you might die trying to get down. They also do this drive up - drive down thing you've explained.

beachwoodbikes

Shop: Beachwood Bikes
Shop Keep
Winter DH

Buy a plane ticket. $200 round trip to Vegas and go ride Bootleg Canyon. This place is a mecca of DH and should be on everyones must ride list. 25 minute drive outside Sin City and you are in it, full-on. Jan-Feb is prime time with daytime highs in the 50-60's. All Mountain Cyclery is the local shop and they can hook it up shuttles/rentals/advice. www.bootlegcanyon.org

sixseven

I think there was an article a while back in Dirt Rag about PA riding or something like that...and I remember reading about a shuttle run thing that was done in a truck borrowed from a bike shop. I don't remember the name of the mountain though.
Bootleg Canyon looks pretty good, watched some videos...
I was thinking of checking out Rays this winter but Bootleg is looking like a ripe one, esp dead of winter here.

I think there was an article a while back in Dirt Rag about PA riding or something like that...and I remember reading about a shuttle run thing that was done in a truck borrowed from a bike shop. I don't remember the name of the mountain though.
Bootleg Canyon looks pretty good, watched some videos...
I was thinking of checking out Rays this winter but Bootleg is looking like a ripe one, esp dead of winter here.

Triple diamond trails:eek:

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Has anyone been to a a place called blue knob? or might be intristed in going? Its also called blue mountain. I think its about a 4 or 5 hour drive west into pennsylvania. Its not a bike park, but they put bikes in the back of a pickup and drive up the mountain then one guy drives down to pick everyone up. and bring them back up. Some of the trails look pretty awsome and it seems to be the only place you can downhill in the winter.

ive got a few weeks till my knee heals from the last day at diablo, but the idea i cant ride dh till may is lame.

Blue Knob is not a bad place to ride, but I would say it is primarily cross country riding. There are some steep downhills, but not that you need a DH bike for. The place is kind of like Mahlon with lots of fireroads and some single track, only much more vertical.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
:rolleyes: I'll beat you down and back up on my XC bike. :D

I will run you over with my truck and sell your bike to the recycling center for beer money.

Edit: And drink you under the table, twice.

Last edited:

dhsean

I will run you over with my truck and sell your bike to the recycling center for beer money.

Edit: And drink you under the table, twice.

My little Honda FIT would probably be good recycling money. :cry:

That's it - it's a drink off!
I'm small but a professional drinker. :D

Ian F

Blue Knob is a ski resort near Pittsburgh. I've read mixed reviews.

Blue Mountain is a ski resort near Allentown, PA. There have been rumors floating around for years about them setting up a mtn bike program, but apparently the owners simply aren't interested. The closest they've ever gotten was a few Mtn X races on the boarder-cross course (on snow).

There's also Blue Mtn in NY, which apparently has some good DH-oriented trails (I've never been there, but have seen some video clips).

I used to shuttle at Skyline back before Mtn Creek/Diablo re-opened. From what I've heard here and elsewhere, the purpose-cut, DH-oriented trails have fallen into disrepair. While much of them could have been ridden on an XC bike, a DH bike would be prefered. And I'm not sure I'd want to try Backbeach (12' minimum drop) on an XC bike.

Fredrick, MD is probably you're best best until snow falls (then all bets are off unless you're willing to fly). A good number of the trails are not "official" trails. I know the guys who cut many of these trails. A couple of them moved up to Semi-Pro practicing on these trails. Some are not for the faint of heart. Go to Ridemonkey.com, visit the DC/NoVa forum and post that you're interested in hooking up with some locals for shuttling. If you're lucky, they'll drop you a note. Some of the trail entrances are hidden so you'll never find them just riding around. Some day I'll get back down there... some fun stuff.

NJMX835

Skyline is ok, but you'll have alot more fun there on an XC or AM type bike than a full on DH rig.

Most of the shuttle-able routes involve a long pedal around the lake & some climbing, there's some nice decents there, but you're going to have to work for it.

One more thing, don't shuttle the top lot to bottom lot unless you want to do it on a weekday morning or whatever time nobody is in the park, it's one of the most highly traveled hiker trails in the state.

Ian F

One more thing, don't shuttle the top lot to bottom lot unless you want to do it on a weekday morning or whatever time nobody is in the park, it's one of the most highly traveled hiker trails in the state.

If you're taking about Cannonball, I agree. But most of the stuff we rode were purpose-cut, rogue DH trails with somewhat hidden trail entrances.

NJMX835

If you're taking about Cannonball, I agree. But most of the stuff we rode were purpose-cut, rogue DH trails with somewhat hidden trail entrances.

There are no freeride trails at Skyline *jedi mindtrick handwave* :D

(At least nothing I'd want to try landing on these days..)

phathucker

ill keep it in mind, if anyone wants to hit a few DH trails with me and show me a few trails drop me a line. I actually found a place blue mountain ski resort in blue knob pa. Its full DH with ski lift during the on season and shuttling you can do in the off season. Its also part of a park that is on a mountain.

Last edited:
Top Bottom