BIYF Winter 2020-2021: Go Zwift or Go Home!!!!

Tim

aka sptimmy43
1/13
1:06 + bridge
3 points

I took a ride to the Randolphville Road bridge which was built in 1937, and was placed on the historic register in 1999. I didn’t do much research beforehand other than looking up the coordinates and I was very much underwhelmed by this bridge when I came upon it. One side looks to be fully intact however, the stonework on the other side must have been damaged and is now a nice scenic Jersey barrier. Even the intact side has lost much of it’s charm as it’s bookended with steel guardrails. That section of the road is quite narrow and at rush hour there wasn’t a great place for me to stop and get more pictures.

20210113_222458014_iOS.jpg

Mathers

1-13-21
1 hour ride = 1 point
Bridge = 2 points
Total = 3 points
Rode to get a hair cut after work.

https://strava.app.link/5QDNMs9R1cb
1610593701481.png

Millburn AVE bridge crossing the Rahway River. Its not very interesting looking but it has a long history.
According to the state Department of Transportation report on historic bridges "Historically, a span has crossed this location since before the Revoluton" and during the American Revolution the wooden Egbeson's Bridge "was a strategic site during the 1780 Battle of Springfield."

2AF0AC9E-BA7C-425A-8D39-AB4350CA1FCE.jpeg
EA9D0365-3C4D-4CB5-B1E2-F919AA0B76F7.jpeg

Last edited:

kearneyb

1/13/21
0.5 Zwift points

started Vikings season 2. Pretty laid back recovery ride.

Look at that bridge. The Shonash Ravine Bridge was completed in the summer of 1886, around the same time the ravine was renamed Clayton Ravine in memory of Clara Clayton, a school teacher who died from falling into the chasm. However, in a revised timeline where Doc Brown saved Clara's life, the town renamed it Eastwood Ravine after Marty McFly's persona when it is believed that "Eastwood" fell into the ravine while trying to stop some train hijackers (who are really Marty and Doc).

2F8981AA-F4F2-40CA-BDF4-0B52A8AA8F24.jpeg

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
1/13
1:30 moving time- 1.5 points
Dark-1 point
Historic Bridge-2 points
Above added together = 4.5 points

Known simply as the Fairlawn Avenue Bridge that crosses the Passaic River between Fairlawn and Patterson on County Route 76. Constructed in 1905, this metal 2 span pin-connected Pratt through truss type is uncommon and efforts have been made to save it. Unfortunately it’s going to the dumpster and being replaced with a new bridge this year due to high amounts of use and the east bound lane is no longer safe for traffic as of 2019. I realized as I rode across it tonight that it may be the last time before it’s gone forever.

FE60DAC9-BC02-4BE1-BD70-2F73C40224BD.png
1B0A12BD-9FCC-4770-8AA8-F96DD9843C24.jpeg
029D24B8-4C47-4FAD-8940-26D631A8BA74.jpeg

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
2.5 + Dark + Bridge = 5.5

strava7570275553318209972.jpg

The Historic Feltville Mill Bridge, built in 1845, was a passageway for the many workers employed by David Felt, including our very own Mr. Gockel.

WR-D6-013_copy1.png

As a young man Mr. Gockel was a drifter, wandering from town to town, often selling his body to make ends meet. Soon enough, Mr Gockel caught the attention of David while sleeping in the Corn Field located near what is now Glenside avenue. David took Mr Gockel in, giving him a job at the Mill and a place to sleep behind Masker's Barn.
These were great times for Mr. Gockel, who would often spend his free time bathing in Suprise Lake, and having picnics with Sandwiches and Birch Beer.

MRGOCKELBW.jpg

A few years of selling his body at night after working at the Mill all day, Mr Gockel had enough money to build his own Mill a mile down the Blue Brook from his former employer. He was extremely successful making book bindings until one fateful day in 1924 when a flood would destroy his Mill and he would have to return to selling his body.

berkeleyheights_seeleysmill_images.jpg

On a clear morning, just early enough to claim a Dark Bonus in an internet bicycle competition, you can still catch Mr. Gockel riding the 2-Miles from his home to the place of his youth, almost 150-years later. He gazes uponthe ruins. Some say the Blue Brook flows with the water of his tears alone.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

View attachment 148617

The Historic Feltville Mill Bridge, built in 1845, was a passageway for the many workers employed by David Felt, including our very own Mr. Gockel.

View attachment 148618

As a young man Mr. Gockel was a drifter, wandering from town to town, often selling his body to make ends meet. Soon enough, Mr Gockel caught the attention of David while sleeping in the Corn Field located near what is now Glenside avenue. David took Mr Gockel in, giving him a job at the Mill and a place to sleep behind Masker's Barn.
These were great times for Mr. Gockel, who would often spend his free time bathing in Suprise Lake, and having picnics with Sandwiches and Birch Beer.

View attachment 148619

A few years of selling his body at night after working at the Mill all day, Mr Gockel had enough money to build his own Mill a mile down the Blue Brook from his former employer. He was extremely successful making book bindings until one fateful day in 1924 when a flood would destroy his Mill and he would have to return to selling his body.

View attachment 148620

On a clear morning, just early enough to claim a Dark Bonus in an internet bicycle competition, you can still catch Mr. Gockel riding the 2-Miles from his home to the place of his youth, almost 150-years later. He gazes uponthe ruins. Some say the Blue Brook flows with the water of his tears alone.
1610592367020.gif

goodvibe

View attachment 148617

View attachment 148618

View attachment 148619

View attachment 148620

Best post ever!

w_b

1/13
1:08 + dark = 2

Work is dealing out dick punches around the table, making consistent riding difficult lately.
Despite really needing to get more work done, I said eff them tonight and snuck out the door to work out a local one while the kids had their Scout's Den meeting.

Unfortunately, like Kev, mind was elsewhere. Will try to make time to snag the bridge bonii, next few days, I promise.
Good job, everyone, puttin' in the time and generating the content and doing all of the things.

1-13-21.jpg

Top Bottom