BIYF Winter 2020-2021: Go Zwift or Go Home!!!!

1/15

0:59 moving. 1 point
no boni

1 point

Wanted to get a couple of the important bridges in Raritan (the other Raritan) posted up.

1st is the Basilone Bridge c. 2005 - Raritan is all about Gunnery Sergeant John Basilone. Serious hero status there.
The town holds a number of events during the year in his honor. Perhaps you saw The Pacific.
He was one of the Marines features. Anywho, they dedicated this bridge in his name when there was a major re-route
of the traffic coming from the west of Hillsborough through Raritan.
The Turnpike bridge over the Raritan in New Brunswick is also named in his honor.

View attachment 148846

Looking on the far left of this bridge is a tunnel which leads to the Nevius Street bridge built in 1886 and retired when the Basilone bridge was complete..
I holds status on the National Register of Historic Places, and connects paved and field-side paths in the Duke estate to Duke Island Park.
Very cool Bridge.

View attachment 148847

View attachment 148848
i've ridden past that area so many times and have never been on that bridge...super cool, and you've given me somewhere to go this wknd!

1/15
2 hours- 2 points
No Bonus other than getting to mountain bike. Did a quick 10 minute ride around the neighborhood when I got home to make sure 2 hours even for the day.
Great ride today with @oobaa47 and @Soundguy. Pics of these guys making it look easy. No pics of me riding(like usual).
427136C3-3888-49ED-BDA4-6577C636AE92.png
04A67EEF-7E2B-4C1C-8E69-6E80AE59BC85.png
CD9FEEC0-1F3C-46A7-A2FC-28F53F6790F1.png
E990B08C-87AD-4DA0-9315-7ABBBEF23BC2.png

Last edited:
1/15
1-hr, 1 pt
2 bridges, 4pts
Total 5pts

@clarkenstein and I were planning a two bridge ride yesterday afternoon. Perfect weather on Thursday and unfortunately work got in the way and we ran out of daylight (at least for me). If timing worked out yesterday, we would have crossed paths with @Patrick as we were planning the same bridges around the same time of day. 11 days in a row on the saddle and I was ok with an off day.

Tried again to meet up with @clarkenstein today, but ended up solo.

B18B9830-6359-4CDB-822D-0CF59E84618B.jpeg

First stop was the Mill Pond Bridge (Bridgepoint Bridge) over Pike Run on Dead Tree Run Road. It is one of the oldest bridges in NJ. Triple arch, single lane, one-way bridge. The original structure is approximately 200-years old. So it's been rehabilitated a few times over the years. A very scenic spot and thankfully it hasn't been demolished and replaced with a modern box.

47889F7F-7AE8-4D24-8E9C-7C55A61760D5.jpeg

IMG_4999.jpg
IMG_5001.jpg

From here, headed down towards the Delaware and Raritan canal. Crossed the Griggstown causeway (1890 / 1978 and 2006) and headed north on the towpath, also crossed the bridge over the canal waiting for traffic to pass. But didn't stop for pictures. Passed this little guy drinking from the canal. Stopped and was able to get one decent picture before it ran off into the woods.

IMG_5003.jpg

Continued down to the towpath and made it to bridge #2. This bridge carries six mile run under the delaware and raritan canal. The original structure was built when the canal was built in the 1830s and was expanded when canal road was build. I never realized how much the section under the canal was deeper than the section under the road. I love the fact the canal is still here. I grew up near the remains of the Morris Canal in Warren County and have driven down Erie Blvd in Syracuse (filled in portions of the Erie Canal). So nice to have the D&R Canal in the neighborhood. Sure it can boring to ride, but nice to have it there. When the canal was built it was an engineering marvel. It survives today because it was repurposed as a drinking water supply for central new jersey and it is now a water supply and linear park through the heart of new jersey. The folks who designed and built this bridge and the canal would be proud it is still in use today. I've had the opportunity work on some of the old infrastructure in the region. What our forefathers left us is just fantastic. Shame we don't always design to leave the same legacy.

51DC8D6F-F43D-412B-8807-757A9FD0EF3B.jpeg
IMG_5005.jpg

From there passed over the blackwells mills causeway and headed home.

1/15
1-hr, 1 pt
2 bridges, 4pts
Total 5pts

@clarkenstein and I were planning a two bridge ride yesterday afternoon. Perfect weather on Thursday and unfortunately work got in the way and we ran out of daylight (at least for me). If timing worked out yesterday, we would have crossed paths with @Patrick as we were planning the same bridges around the same time of day. 11 days in a row on the saddle and I was ok with an off day.

Tried again to meet up with @clarkenstein today, but ended up solo.

View attachment 148851

First stop was the Mill Pond Bridge (Bridgepoint Bridge) over Pike Run on Dead Tree Run Road. It is one of the oldest bridges in NJ. Triple arch, single lane, one-way bridge. The original structure is approximately 200-years old. So it's been rehabilitated a few times over the years. A very scenic spot and thankfully it hasn't been demolished and replaced with a modern box.

View attachment 148852
View attachment 148865View attachment 148866

From here, headed down towards the Delaware and Raritan canal. Crossed the Griggstown causeway (1890 / 1978 and 2006) and headed north on the towpath, also crossed the bridge over the canal waiting for traffic to pass. But didn't stop for pictures. Passed this little guy drinking from the canal. Stopped and was able to get one decent picture before it ran off into the woods.

View attachment 148867

Continued down to the towpath and made it to bridge #2. This bridge carries six mile run under the delaware and raritan canal. The original structure was built when the canal was built in the 1830s and was expanded when canal road was build. I never realized how much the section under the canal was deeper than the section under the road. I love the fact the canal is still here. I grew up near the remains of the Morris Canal in Warren County and have driven down Erie Blvd in Syracuse (filled in portions of the Erie Canal). So nice to have the D&R Canal in the neighborhood. Sure it can boring to ride, but nice to have it there. When the canal was built it was an engineering marvel. It survives today because it was repurposed as a drinking water supply for central new jersey and it is now a water supply and linear park through the heart of new jersey. The folks who designed and built this bridge and the canal would be proud it is still in use today. I've had the opportunity work on some of the old infrastructure in the region. What our forefathers left us is just fantastic. Shame we don't always design to leave the same legacy.

View attachment 148853View attachment 148868

From there passed over the blackwells mills causeway and headed home.
BF3CFC41-E96F-480B-9762-CE02ECEC713D.gif

01/16/2020
1 Hour Zwift = .5 Points
No Bonus

Image-1.jpg

I had 40 miles planned for this afternoon outdoors but I am officially "grounded" due to my shoulder injury so I will be doing the next 2 weeks of rides on Zwift.

While I have been riding outdoors since I got hurt, the doc said better to give it more time to heal and go to PT. Indoors is fine just have to not put so much weight on the left side. Just lucky it could have been worse.

Now off to go take the middle son for oral surgery...fun.

1/16

2:21

casey key cruise

2 pts

Nasty WNW wind nearly blew me off the road on the way home. Anywho, finally got a pic of the elusive roseate spoonbill - saw one fly overhead last year but this is the first close encounter since we've been here.

20210116_112603.jpg

Bridge bonus - 2 pts

IMG_20210116_115312_428.jpg

This is literally the only historic bridge within 70+ miles of here. The Blackburn Point road bridge is a single-pivot swing bridge - rotates 90 degrees to let boats thru rather than opening up. Built in 1925 and one of only a few remaining swing truss bridges left down here.

blackburn point bridge

Beach looks like the Atlantic with that wind

IMG_20210116_115342_510.jpg

Back
Top Bottom