BIYF Winter 2020-2021: Go Zwift or Go Home!!!!

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does not compute. I'll take someone actually recognizing I exist on the road any day. How could a motorist "letting you go" cause confusion or lead to more accidents?? Silly

the car turning right in the far side of the pic has the ROW. they decide to be nice and let the near car turn in front of them.
car coming from background figures traffic is can't to right because something is blocking it. goes around not expecting
the car to turn left because they don't have the row.

it is a problem.

and the white suv that had ROW just leaves......

rick81721

Lothar
1/13

1:00

1 pt

https://www.strava.com/activities/4614662881

The fabled I-75 bridge over Jackson road. One of the handfull of bridges in the US devoid of graffiti and bums living underneath.

IMG_20210113_105240_627.jpg

On a serious note, it was so cold and cloudy today the geezers were wearing winter coats and gloves! :D

rick81721

Lothar
You see this crap all the time in Princeton, intent to cross is not the same as crossing.

In any case, @Patrick calling it "dumb" for a car to wave on a cyclist is not the correct verbage. Unsafe, possibly, but dumb, no. . I have had people wave me on and typically, you get that, NO, you go studder step BS, mainly because you assumed they were going since they have the ROW . This often leads to some beeping from others and the person that let you go, speeding off. Not the best situation, but not dumb either. Sometimes people have the best of intentions though.

Today's ride reminded me of two aspects of motorist/cyclist interactions.

1. One truly idiotic and dangerous motorist move is when they are behind you on a one lane each way road, and are so impatient they can't wait a few seconds for a clear line of sight to pass. Instead, they whip into the opposing lane of traffic and pass on a blind curve or hill. I see it all the time in NJ and it's just a matter of time before these nitwits hit someone. And I'm sure when they do, the first thing they will do is try to blame me!

2. The biggest danger to cyclists in Florida is geezers that have no clue you are there. Today I was in the bike lane of a two lane each way road (I can take the entire lane btw). I saw an SUV on the other side about to cross over into my direction. He pulled right into my lane - anticipating this I slowed down so it wasn't close but I still yelled and flipped the bird. I'm sure he had no idea I was even there. Ever vigilant.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
1/13

1:00

1 pt

https://www.strava.com/activities/4614662881

The fabled I-75 bridge over Jackson road. One of the handfull of bridges in the US devoid of graffiti and bums living underneath.

View attachment 148560

On a serious note, it was so cold and cloudy today the geezers were wearing winter coats and gloves! :D
In case you were wondering (probably not), those squares cut out of mastic tape in your picture are a magnetic based traffic counting product similar to this, but an older version:

Used more in the southern half of the country to obtain vehicle axle classification on multi-lane highways. Not sure much in NJ, mainly because they are hard to keep on the roadway.

rick81721

Lothar
In case you were wondering (probably not), those squares cut out of mastic tape in your picture are a magnetic based traffic counting product similar to this, but an older version:

Used more in the southern half of the country to obtain vehicle axle classification on multi-lane highways. Not sure much in NJ, mainly because they are hard to keep on the roadway.
Interesting! I've seen them all around and had no idea.

giphy (6).gif

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i didn't say they were going to hit the cyclist. and you might be smart enough to look if someone waves you through
on bike or in car - but this is a possible result of yielding the ROW.

probably different in Cali - if a car is stopped in a strange place, it is probably because someone stepped off a curb.

Here is one for @Carson - I know i need to yield for a person in a crosswalk. If they are standing on the sidewalk
and just standing there like they want the cars to stop first, is it a violation not to stop? (if they look like they are want to
cross, i stop - of course risking that someone runs into the back of me - which is every time we stop in NJ)

As an aside, Somerville has to be the worst place for drivers to go around cars that are parallel parking.
WTF - worst thing you can do ever.

The ped has to be in the crosswalk. Not scratching his/her ass thinking about crossing.

39:4-36 (portions)

1)The driver of a vehicle shall stop and remain stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross the roadway within a marked crosswalk, when the pedestrian is upon, or within one lane of, the half of the roadway, upon which the vehicle is traveling or onto which it is turning. As used in this paragraph, "half of the roadway" means all traffic lanes conveying traffic in one direction of travel, and includes the entire width of a one-way roadway.

(2)No pedestrian shall leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to yield or stop.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The ped has to be in the crosswalk. Not scratching his/her ass thinking about crossing.

1)The driver of a vehicle shall stop and remain stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross the roadway within a marked crosswalk, when the pedestrian is upon, or within one lane of, the half of the roadway, upon which the vehicle is traveling or onto which it is turning. As used in this paragraph, "half of the roadway" means all traffic lanes conveying traffic in one direction of travel, and includes the entire width of a one-way roadway.

(2)No pedestrian shall leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to yield or stop.
This is logical, probably why @Patrick can't wrap his head around it.

BTW, they should post signs with this at every crosswalk in Princeton, most of the people there don't even break step when crossing. I always figured your life would be over if you hit a pedestrian there.

Last edited:

ekuhn

Our construction trailer is across the street from the jobsite. We have a crosswalk right at the gate. We have an officer and lighted car 50ft from said crosswalk every day. This crosswalk is 250ft from a signaled intersection on a one way (2) two lane city street.

Standing in the crosswalk doesn't stop us from almost getting run over on a weekly basis. Oh and we wear high vis all the time.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
This is logical, probably why @Patrick can't wrap his head around it.

BTW, they should post signs with this at every crosswalk in Princeton, most of the people there don't even break step when crossing. I always figured your life would be over if you hit a pedestrian there.

you probably didn't even realize this was a thing.
Getting the stink-eye from karen standing there with her starbucks wondering why nobody is stopping.

and yeah, i'm keenly aware of the headset-hoodie that makes the left into the crosswalk w/o looking.

And while walking, the a-hole that is splitting between the parked cars and the ones in the lane.
get on the other side and split into on-coming traffic - show some guts.

serviceguy

the car turning right in the far side of the pic has the ROW. they decide to be nice and let the near car turn in front of them.
car coming from background figures traffic is can't to right because something is blocking it. goes around not expecting
the car to turn left because they don't have the row.

it is a problem.

I would say the most contributing factors here are the car making a left turn not using the direction light and the car coming from the opposite direction not slowing down while approaching the intersection and not paying attention to what the other driver is doing. While the courtesy of the third driver (who probably left the intersection with a chuckle) created the stage for this to happen, it took both drivers' actions to result in a crash.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I would say the most contributing factors here are the car making a left turn not using the direction light and the car coming from the opposite direction not slowing down while approaching the intersection and not paying attention to what the other driver is doing. While the courtesy of the third driver (who probably left the intersection with a chuckle) created the stage for this to happen, it took both drivers' actions to result in a crash.

all accidents are chains that can be broken at any point.

read about the sunjet accident in the everglades - unreal what had to happen for the accident to occur, but it did.

Robin

1/13 - 4.5 points**

Part 1 - drop Subie off for service and ride home

GarminConnect_20210113-090103.jpg

Part 2 - scenic route to get car. Includes bridge bonus (details below)

GarminConnect_20210113-151707.jpg

Looking over the list provided, I knew there were a ton of bridges in Allerton crossing the Raritan. I was on the look for this Fink-Type Truss bridge. Could not find it - and later read that it's a style of bridge, not specific, and collapsed. I did find the above bridge IS listed on the National Historic list as a pony truss bridge.

** if the above bridge is not "valid", no worries. There are plenty of bridges in my area for me to snag.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
1/13 - 4.5 points**

Part 1 - drop Subie off for service and ride home

View attachment 148573

Part 2 - scenic route to get car. Includes bridge bonus (details below)

View attachment 148574

Looking over the list provided, I knew there were a ton of bridges in Allerton crossing the Raritan. I was on the look for this Fink-Type Truss bridge. Could not find it - and later read that it's a style of bridge, not specific, and collapsed. I did find the above bridge IS listed on the National Historic list as a pony truss bridge.

** if the above bridge is not "valid", no worries. There are plenty of bridges in my area for me to snag.
This works; nice!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
so it has to be two bridges in 1 ride to get the max?
so 4 points each of 5 days = 20 point wheel. i'll assume they need to be different bridges, even tho you didn't spell that out.
:D
I missed this, clear it is 4 maximum bonus points available.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Updated through 01/12. The milestone race is for January is hot! @goodvibe will likely pass me today and places 3-9 are all within 5 points of each other. Got everyone like:

EScnb-hWoAAJEEl.jpg

Bridge bonus, it is not 4 possible points per day, it is 4 bonus points total during the bonus period. Don't over think, find a cool old bridge and take a picture. Hell, make some history up about it (this may be worth extra points...).

Top Bottom