Biking Vegas thus far

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
go to bootleg canyon.
Im heading there on the 23rd of January.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
be careful of snakes and scorpions out there! oh yeah and stay out of anywhere in northern vegas city limits. its REALLY bad up there. anything north of the stratosphere is nasty as shit. usually when you come across a "martin luther king drive" its time to go the other way. i lived in vegas for two days once, and turned around and drive back home. 5000 miles on your car in a week is fun. haha.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bootleg Canyon today was AWESOME. It's everything we're missing in New Jersey. It makes me want to buy a downhill and a freeride bike.

Luke will post pictures of my injuries... 30 feet from the end of the trail I went over my bars.

Heading back tomorrow!

-Steve

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
im really enjoying your blog entries. its nice to read about somewhere other than here, haha. btw, flagstaff is a really cool town. its weird where its located. one minute you are in the desert, 10 minutes later you are in a pine forest. enjoy!

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I rode in Vegas years ago, nice scenery (for a change) trails fast and flowy, nothing too technical. I used some tour company ADVENTURE something, can't remember the name of the place. It wasn't too far, there was a lookout where you could see Vegas skyline in the distance, we also encountered some wild horses, I thought those didn't exist anymore. The 'most thechnical' trail, according to the guide, was DEVIl's STAIRCASE. A Van picked us up and dropped us back at the hotel in time for some debauchery :getsome:

now that i saw the pics, it looks like I was in Bootleg Canyon

Last edited:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Nice pics and creative bike packing.

I have been to bootleg a bunch of times for interbike. That place shreds tires. During the demo there you will see a bunch of asses riding down on the rims of someone else's bike. I have never changed so many flats on a ride as I did in this spot. The use of the land is very creative and the natural terrain is really flowy.

Good winter getaway.

Last time i was there I demoed a road bike and rode down and back to lake mead. It was windy as heck.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Looks very cool. How far out of the city are these riding spots?

About 20-30 minutes south of Vegas is Bootleg canyon. About the same for cottonwood.

Bootleg Canyon did a number on my Hutchinson Python tire I'm running in the front. It looks like what happens to an old tire that's run a lot on the street. The Maxxis Ridgeline in the back isn't having the same fate, however it's hardly got any tread left as it is.

-Steve in NJ

MTB Aussie

I rode in Vegas years ago, nice scenery (for a change) trails fast and flowy, nothing too technical. I used some tour company ADVENTURE something, can't remember the name of the place. It wasn't too far, there was a lookout where you could see Vegas skyline in the distance, we also encountered some wild horses, I thought those didn't exist anymore. The 'most thechnical' trail, according to the guide, was DEVIl's STAIRCASE. A Van picked us up and dropped us back at the hotel in time for some debauchery :getsome:

now that i saw the pics, it looks like I was in Bootleg Canyon
It was probably "Escape Adventures". They operate out of LV Cyclery. If you rode Devils Staircase you were at Redrock canyon to the west of Vegas. Good trails. If you were lucky they took you over to the Cowboy trails which have some good canyon edge riding. There was wild horses there when I rode it.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Funny, im watching Robbie Knivel's jump in vegas on TV and luke is texting me that he is there watching Robbie maddison's jump live. So im arguing with him that Knievel was the one in vegas jumping. Who would have thought that 2 robbie's would be doing motorcycle jumps in vegas on the same night. Well anyway. The one that was on TV was Knivel's and it SUCKED. Im a ametuer motocrosser and I have done jumps nearly as big.

MTB Aussie

wtf that's funny about the 2 jumps

I agree that Luke saw the best jump of the two. The Knievel one was lame. Next up he heads to London to repeat his fathers jump over the buses. He is smart enough that he rides a dirt bike built for jumping unlike the Harley that his dad used. I watched the London jump back in 1975 and it was not pretty. I'd rather see a lame Robby jump than another crash like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6qy9MNJRNQ&NR=1

Top Bottom