Biking Vegas thus far

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I agree that Luke saw the best jump of the two. The Knievel one was lame. Next up he heads to London to repeat his fathers jump over the buses. He is smart enough that he rides a dirt bike built for jumping unlike the Harley that his dad used. I watched the London jump back in 1975 and it was not pretty. I'd rather see a lame Robby jump than another crash like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6qy9MNJRNQ&NR=1

Robbie does all of his jumps on a Honda CR500. Which is light years better than what evel was on, but is now 20 years old technolgy wise. Im really wondering what he is going to do. He dad did that jump on a 1975 XR 750 harley. So is Robbie going to do it on the EXACT same bike? Or is it going to be a XR-750 with some modern improvents? Like perhaps some 47mm Showa forks from a MX bike. His dad came up a couple feet short and clipped the landing ramp, I wonder if robbie will have a little more room, or more power.

I hope he has been practicing. motocross bikes are designed to be stable and balanced in the air, harleys are not. It has to be be some transition to go from jumping a cr500 to a harley.

I can see why he would want to do this. Modern freestyle riders are making him look like a novice. Mike Metzger did the Caesars Palace Fountain jump while also doing a backflip at the same time. That and the fact that he has always been considered "evel lite" since he was riding a cr500 and not a harley.

sixseven

The guy jumping on/off the Arc was way cool. That was just sick. The scale was just really impressive.

Robbie Kin-of-evil is weak steak. I would rather watch his dad wreck on any of his attempts than watch Robbie do these phony camera set up jumps that aren't actually that big. I swear there are guys doing bigger stuff in most MTB movies.

Like Utah Joe said, guys like Mike Metzger just take the history that Evel made and blow bubbles with it. That is pretty cool when you see it.

Robbie jumping the volcano...that is just silly...Its like the Fonz jumping the shark...but wait its actually not as cool as that...

Last edited:

sixseven

Forgot...looks like an awesome trip Luke! I am hoping to hit Bootleg in a month or so, great to hear more good things about it.
That missle thing looks cool too.

gtluke

The Moped
We rode the really popular spot in Tucson today, it was really tame. Nice, but tame. I forgot my camera. Steve got hit by some evil christmas tree that ejected a cucumber of death into his hand. He's in the bathroom now still pulling the needles out.
I'll do a full update when we get back from dinner with friends.

gtluke

The Moped
Hopefully I document it well enough that someone else can do a similar vacation. It's pretty cheap, I mean our hotel tonight is $15 :D

My main motivation for biking is to burn calories so I can replace them with Mexican food. ha!

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
be careful of snakes and scorpions out there! oh yeah and stay out of anywhere in northern vegas city limits.

At least the snakes and scorpions are not too active in the winter time. Best advice I got from the guys at the Yuma Proving Ground was to stay out of any washes -- that is where the critters like to go. When in the desert, remember that everything is trying to hurt and kill you and you'll be fine.

gtluke

The Moped
ha yeah
what's nuts is that we are in flagstaff for the cheap hotel like 25 miles outside of sedona. its about 30deg and there is 2 feet of snow on the ground. in about 45 minutes i'll be on my bike in shorts an a t-shirt. crazy what a few thousand feet of elevation will do :)

it just reminds me of what i have to come home to on friday. but my maria is waiting for me so it's all good.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
ha yeah
what's nuts is that we are in flagstaff for the cheap hotel like 25 miles outside of sedona. its about 30deg and there is 2 feet of snow on the ground. in about 45 minutes i'll be on my bike in shorts an a t-shirt. crazy what a few thousand feet of elevation will do :)

it just reminds me of what i have to come home to on friday. but my maria is waiting for me so it's all good.

yeah i said that earlier. that elevation change is SO weird coming in and oat of flagstaff. my ears hated me for about 2 hours going in and out of there from the changes. lol.

gtluke

The Moped
To the top, post complete. I've added a few more days on.
pages 10-12 are not complete. I still want to add an interactive picture/map since I geotagged my images, I'm having trouble getting that working on the web though. maybe tonight.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Continental went through my bike box and screwed stuff up. I now have some paint/metal worn away on my downtube. Not a huge deal but annoying none the less.

I'm really considering making a new bike box out of riveted aluminum unless I can get another cardboard box made with better dimensions.

Not putting my bike box back together until it's warm out.

-Steve

gtluke

The Moped
Yeah actually lightroom is my new best friend (also adobe). I can smudge/fix those dirt spots and tell it to apply that setting to every picture I took using that camera that week. (I had 2 cameras with me) since the dirt is in the same exact spot on every picture. Best software ever. Also cool is the upload plugin I got that once I fix it can reupload those pictures as a replacment, so they are the same URL so my blog and linked images still work, but they are just fixed. Really awesome stuff. I mean it sounds like a logical thing to be doing, but 2 years ago this would have taken my 10 times as long.

gtluke

The Moped
new cool pic
453767998_vsUub-X2.jpg

Top Bottom