Bike vrs Bike

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
oh-noes-you-dint.jpg

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
In most cases that i have seen, when an average XC rider tries a 29er for the 1st time they are amazed.

Rarely they return to 26".

That being said.. I have a ton of fun on my 26" wheeled Eastern.

Nighttrain2008.jpg

Last edited:

J-Dro

I have a 26er. I have a 29er. I like both. I ride both. Neither one will make up for lack of skills. I think the need around here to pledge allegiance to a wheel size is kind of silly.

Just wondering why this is in the Roadie forum????

Last edited:

MST.ESQ

What do you ride?

26er... at a hair under 5'10" and a fan of snappy-quick handling... I think it will stay that way.

It would be interesting to know what the shop guys think about the relationship between rider height and wheel size. I was a little surprised that some shops have suggested that I demo their 29ers.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I have a 26er. I have a 29er. I like both. I ride both. Neither one will make up for lack of skills. I think the need around here to pledge allegiance to a wheel size is kind of silly.

Just wondering why this is in the Roadie forum????
As of right now I ride a 26'er but have tried a 29'er and I want one but for now a 26'er...
trying to figure out how to build a cross bike from an older schwinn road frame...:)

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
26er... at a hair under 5'10" and a fan of snappy-quick handling... I think it will stay that way.

It would be interesting to know what the shop guys think about the relationship between rider height and wheel size. I was a little surprised that some shops have suggested that I demo their 29ers.

At 5'8" I ride a medium (17.5 inch) 29er. Height has absolutely nothing to do with whether a 29inch wheel is right for you. Also, to state a 29 inch wheel handles "slower" than a 26 inch is very wrong. Maybe you should take one of those shops up on that demo so you can at least get your facts straight;)

-Jim.

Panhead

Sixseven- It all started with me wanting a fixie to spin around with, not wanting to go all in I'm getting a rim (26") off stb222 and converting it to fixie so really it will be a 69er fix. Me being me decided it would be fun to do the Darkness on it. There is no doubt in my mind I'm probably out of my mind, but it should still be fun.

sixseven

Sixseven- It all started with me wanting a fixie to spin around with, not wanting to go all in I'm getting a rim (26") off stb222 and converting it to fixie so really it will be a 69er fix. Me being me decided it would be fun to do the Darkness on it. There is no doubt in my mind I'm probably out of my mind, but it should still be fun.

You are onto something big here...be careful!
Are you ready to assume the responsibility of bringing the fixie trend to the dirt? Man that is big! :):):) Cant wait for the first reports!

sixseven

ok between sips of beer it dawned on me that what you are doing eclipses this now droll issue of 26 vs 29. You are basically going to the moon on a bike.

Top Bottom