Bike trip recommendations

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Traveling to ride bikes is great fun, but NJ is hard to beat.

I wonder about this as it pertains to MA. In Vietnam, I stumbled upon a pretty cool trail that is what you like, but on the TF map it was in that 10-30% popularity (for obvious reasons). Most of us use TF to find stuff, and the most technical stuff will never be popular. Think about all the stuff you like - how much of it would anyone find if they visited NJ and used TF to navigate? Probably almost none of it.

A place like Jungle would be the exception, I would say.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I wonder about this as it pertains to MA. In Vietnam, I stumbled upon a pretty cool trail that is what you like, but on the TF map it was in that 10-30% popularity (for obvious reasons). Most of us use TF to find stuff, and the most technical stuff will never be popular. Think about all the stuff you like - how much of it would anyone find if they visited NJ and used TF to navigate? Probably almost none of it.

A place like Jungle would be the exception, I would say.
The reason NJ has all these rocky goodness trails is glaciers...the AT follows the glacier trails so pretty much from Maine to Georgia you will find this rocky goodness. The watershed has some flow, manmade trails to natural, chunky goodness more similar to blue mountain or Pierson's in Ringwood. Adjacent is Gambrill, then a bike ride away is Michael, Emmitsburg and a handful of others...Greenbrier etc.

Cassinonorth

the AT follows the glacier trails so pretty much from Maine to Georgia you will find this rocky goodness

The AT is significantly less rocky south of the Mason Dixon.

The Boulevard Trail - Wikipedia

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Think about all the stuff you like - how much of it would anyone find if they visited NJ and used TF to navigate? Probably almost none of it.

Right. The smart move would be to find a good forum, and try to find a useful thread that gives you some leads on where the locals like to ride. You’d have to weed through all the silly bickering, but you might find the good trails.

krink

Eddie Munster
Right. The smart move would be to find a good forum, and try to find a useful thread that gives you some leads on where the locals like to ride. You’d have to weed through all the silly bickering, but you might find the good trails.
I don’t use TF. Nothing against it, just never have. I use MTB project and overlay Strava global heat map biking maps. SGH usually shows which trails are actually ridden more locally in the places near MTB project listings. It seems to work well. Found all my Vegas ride routes last week using this.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Think about all the stuff you like - how much of it would anyone find if they visited NJ and used TF to navigate? Probably almost none of it.

Yeah this is 100% true. We were out in Rothrock two years ago, and we rode John Wert which was supposed to be this super techy gnar hike a bike trail, but it was a joke. Then we somewhat accidentally rode a short section of this fucking great gnar hiking trail that was obviously ridden/maintained by mountain bikers, but it didn't even show up on the Strava heat map. I'm sure there's lots of other good stuff out there, but we'd need to find the PA idiots that like that kind of thing. That's why NJ would be tough to leave, because I already know where lots of good stuff is :p

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Mason dixon was the wrong term...south of MD. WV has some rocky spots but south of there is almost all dirt.
I think up north has more rocky sections so density wise as far as rocky but definitely plenty of rocks heading south. Isn’t massanutten and harrisonburg mostly rock? Blue ridge mountains is a lot of rock too.

Top Bottom