Bike transporting question

southernerinnj

Quick question for you more veteran riders. I driver an '03 Avalanche right now I strap my bike into the bed along with my daughters trailer and my wife's bike. Is it really that much better for the bikes to buy a hitch rack? Or does this just save cargo room the bed? I haven't noticed any "damage" caused by traveling this way, but was curious if this could make for an issue in the long run.

For clarity I setup each bike on opposite sides of the bed with trailer in the middle. I secure the bikes to tie points in the bed with ratchet straps around the frame. Staying away from the rims, etc.

Preciate any info in advance

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
if you don't need the cargo room in your bed, your method works fine. The hitch mounted rack will just make it easier to get your bikes on and off and avoid scratches. If you don't care about that stuff, spend you $ on something else.

syadasti

Wet Rag
I think ease of use/space is the main thing if you are using a pickup. I have a friend who has been strapping his bikes down like that forever without a problem.

You can also consider a Thule/Sportworks Insta-Gator (as little as $95 shipped) if you want something that loads a little quicker/more foolproof. They now have lockable arms so as long as your tailgate locks it should prevent casual bike theft:

http://www.rackoutfitters.com/car-racks/pc/videopop.asp?idproduct=707

Last edited:

BiknBen

As others point out, your method is fine. Some justify the use of a rack but it is just a personal preference decision.

My first concern for your method would be security. While I've never been a pick-up owner, I've heard too many stories about stuff being stolen from truck beds.

southernerinnj

I do understand what you mean Ben. I wouldn't stop anywhere with my bikes in the back and leave it unattended. As for when the bikes are not in there the avalanche has covers and a locking tailgate that offer some pretty serious security. Atleast I've never had an issue with that. The only time my bike would be left on its own it would be locked up in the backseat instead of the bed. Thanks for the input all!

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
part of the reason i bought my truck was for easy transport of the bikes, i didnt want to deal with hitch or trunk racks anymore. I built a small rack that sits in the front of the bed, that the front tires of the bikes fit into, with a few tie down points, so i can strap the bikes in. I can also lock the bikes to the rack which is nice.

but i wouldnt trade my pickup bed for a bike rack..no way

southernerinnj

part of the reason i bought my truck was for easy transport of the bikes, i didnt want to deal with hitch or trunk racks anymore. I built a small rack that sits in the front of the bed, that the front tires of the bikes fit into, with a few tie down points, so i can strap the bikes in. I can also lock the bikes to the rack which is nice.

but i wouldnt trade my pickup bed for a bike rack..no way

Could you by chance post an image of the rack you made? I would be really interested in this. The way you describe how it functions I'm thinking I could rig this up fairly easy or atleast get one of the ironworkers here on site to make me one. Thanks in advance! I really like this idea

syadasti

Wet Rag
Could you by chance post an image of the rack you made? I would be really interested in this. The way you describe how it functions I'm thinking I could rig this up fairly easy or atleast get one of the ironworkers here on site to make me one. Thanks in advance! I really like this idea

You should check mtbr. I've seen designs made from wood and also PVC pipe.

Top Bottom